Vodkaman

How To Order Product By Phone

There are regularly posts here on TU about phone service problems, so I thought I would start a thread giving my thoughts on the subject and inviting yours. This thread is not targeting anyone, so do not feel singled out or threatened. This can be a fun, informative and an enlightening discussion.

To many of you, this is going to seem like a very patronizing article. This is certainly not the intention. I am merely inviting you to think about some of the problems. Feel free to add more ideas, as this is just what is in my mind to get you started.

Phone limitations - In order to save data volume, not all frequencies are transmitted, the high and low frequencies are clipped. This causes problems with certain letters and numbers. The most difficult letters are ‘S’ and ‘F’, ‘T’ and ‘D’, ‘3’, ‘5’, ‘9’.

When speaking the numbers, use ‘TREE’, ‘FIFE’ and ‘NINER’, this makes it easier to distinguish the numbers for the phone operator. When speaking the letters, be as clear as possible and be aware of the problems.

If you order by phone regularly, take the trouble to learn the phonetic alphabet. This is an internationally accepted standard; alpha bravo Charlie delta echo…. It only takes ten minutes to learn and a few minutes practice per day for a week and you will have it cracked. Every time subtitles appear on the tv screen, have a little practice in your head, just to keep it fresh.

Using the phonetic alphabet and the number suggestions will get you respect from the phone sales person. As professionals, they will certainly know their phonetics. Making words up for the phonetics is no good, because the phone operator is going to have to think about each word and that slows things down and will cause more confusion.

Ordering – this may seem obvious, but make a list of the names, part numbers and quantities of all the items that you want to order BEFORE picking up the phone. Nothing is going to irritate the sales person more than indecisiveness as you try to ‘wing it’ on the fly. Be organized and precise.

Vocal skills – phone operators HATE mumblers, they are just problem after problem and then more problems. If you are a mumbler, like me, clear your throat before dialing, Try your first words aloud as a quick practice and then dial. When I did phone sales, I was taught to always stand and even pace around when on the phone. Raise the pitch of your voice a little, this helps keep it clear. Talk louder than normal and be precise and clear with your words. If you are a fast talker, SLOW it down or you will be repeating yourself a lot and annoying the phone operator. Don't speak in a mono-tone voice, add some inflection (up and down). This will feel a bit silly and false, but will make your voice more interesting to listen to. Try it in your regular life conversations, it only needs a little practice.

Social skills – confirm you have the right number; ‘Hello, fishing skirts?’ ‘Hi, my names Dave and I would like to place an order please’.

The start of the call is not the time to make small talk, unless she leads the conversation that way. ALWAYS follow the lead of the phone operator, let her be the boss and run things.

Once the business is concluded, a complement on her professionalism would be in order. You have to feel the operator’s state of mind. If it feels that she is tired and needs a break, let her go. If she sounds jolly and sociable, try a short conversation; ‘how’s the weather there’, busy day’, ’all the customers being nice today’ and so on. If the answers are short, one word-ers, let her go. Follow her lead. If the call was a success, ask for her name for future reference.

Leave the operator smiling and feeling good, and you will be remembered as a good customer.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

I prefer interaction by email or personal messenger.  During the business week I respond quickly so the "right now" crowd can't complain to much.   For consistency I tell everybody to use the contact form on my website to start any quote interaction.  

Interactions are clear and concise most of the time, although some people seem to think they are still using a telegraph and they are being charged by the letter.  Use a lot of short simple sentences to explain what you want punctuated with only a few compound sentences here and there to break the monotony.  Re-read what you wrote and separate related points into paragraphs.  You don't need to write composition formal, but a little order goes a long way.  

There is a record of what was said, and what is agreed to.  I have a pretty good memory, but I make mistakes too.  

And most importantly for me.  It doesn't have that right now demand on my time that breaks my concentration and causes me to lose the train of focus on whatever project I am working on.  I can respond in a few minutes when I finish the current thought process or change the mill tool on the machine and press start again.  

I don't mind if people want to chat on the phone to feel better about doing business with me, but I much prefer if they give me their timezone/state/country and tell me the best time of day to call them. 

I am much more efficient this way and ultimately that helps with better turn around time on custom jobs, and less frequent necessity to raise prices.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

And, yes IP telephony permeates nearly every aspect of telephone communications these days.  Data compression and network congestion has a negative impact on sound quality for nearly every call.  Oddly enough our old analog phone system sometimes plaqued by noise and static repeoduced a broader range of sound with greater quality.  

(I am still a licensed communications contractor.)  

I would add to Dave's points.  Quickly identify yourself by name, company if applicable, and why you are calling. 

Also, listen to the person who answers the phone. 

For years my contracting business number was similar to the number for Greyhound's local bus terminal.  I would get 3 or 4 a week that went like this:

RING!  RING!

Me:  The Security Consultant, How can I help you? 

Them:  Is this the bus station?

Me:  No, its not the bus station.  If it was the bus station I would have said, "Bus station.  How can I help you?" but I didn't.  I said, "The Security Consultant, How can I help you?"  

Them:  @ssh*le

Me:  Click.  

You are calling somebody because you want to talk to them and want to hear from them.  Pay attention to the call.  

Also if its your job to answer the phone pay freaking attention to the people calling.  You are getting paid to handle phone calls efficiently.  Even if your job is to deflect callers from reaching some parties do it efficiently  Don't waste everybody's time and be one of the causes of increased prices in everything.  

RING!  RING!

Them:  CYZ Stores.  How can we help you?  

Me:  This is Bob with The Security Consultant.  I am returning a call from "Your Boss."

Them:  Who is this?

Me:  Bob

Them:  What company are you with?

Me:  The Security Consultant.

Them:  Who did you want to talk to?

Me:  "Your Boss."

Them:  What is this regarding?

Me:  I am returning a call from "Your Boss."

Them:  Yes, but what is it about.  

Me:  I don't know.  "Your Boss" called me.

At this point my price for the job has just increased by atleast 10%.  I know that every interaction I have with this company is going to be plagued by time wasters.   

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1