keysd13

Ned Rig Mold?

Like mentioned above, there are several ways to make  them. I've done the mushroom head along with the way smalljaw makes them. It all depends which way you want them and how you are going to fish them. You can also add a wire flexible weedguard, which I had a request for. The choice is yours.

I'm not sure how to post a picture.  If you want to see the naked Ned head or the standup jighead with a wire guard, click on my logo on the left.  Then go to my website and click on the jig heads page.

The worm nose mold isn't modified much, I just modified it so I can use either a 90 degree hook or a flat eye jig hook for weedless shakey heads.

The tip-up jig mold will also take either hook but I also added a groove for a wire weed guard and a slot next to the hook for the wire trailer keepers.  I'm not a fan of making many of those jig heads.  A lot of little pieces to keep still when closing to pour a 1/8 oz head.  Being able to use either hook style gives you options for what plastic you use.  If you want a shorter hook to keep the action in the Ned trailer, the 90 degree hook is the one you want.  If you want a longer hook and a little more beef, a 2/0 cross-eye hook fits nicely in the 1/8 oz head.  I originally made this mold to fish hula grubs with, something with a quality hook in it instead of a cheap bronze hook.

I found an old Glider (slider copy) head mold on Ebay and fixed that one also to take a wire guard and a trailer keeper.

You have the screw lock version of the worm nose but it uses the same hooks. The 570 is an old standby but it is bronze, and there are a lot better hooks. The thing you must remember is that most of these molds that have small sizes use what is called an "Aberdeen" style hook, they are designed to bend out straight to free from snags and then be bent back again without breaking. I've landed 5lb+ smallmouth with them and the hook wasn't bent at all but you need to use the right tackle. Some guys are fishing Ned rigs on casting rods with 30lb braid and 12# to 14# fluorocarbon leaders, that will bend these hooks in short order. I like using the new Eagle Claw 500BP Lil' Nasty, it is a sickle hook that is wicked sharp, holds the fish really well, and it is stronger than the Matzuo sickle. The other hook I like using is the Owner 5318, that is a wicked sharp hook too and I decide which hook to use based on which bait, for example if I'm using a 3" Fat Senko, I'll go with the Owner 5318 because it is a round bend with a wider gap, if I'm using the regular 3" stick, I'll use the Eagle Claw sickle hook. Other good ones to use are the Eagle Claw L570BP, that is the black platinum lazer sharp model of the 570, and the Mustad 32746. 

I use the worm nose jig mold with Owner 5318 3/0 hooks.  Those may seem a little big, but I use 3" to 4" sticks with it and also a 3" Kalins style grub that I've cut the tail short on.  I'll also use it for a variety of worms and lizards.

I've switched over from Mustad to Owner hooks for almost all my jigs and spinners.  It just makes a much better jig IMO.

The Owner 5318 is still an Aberdeen hook but I use them too, I use the smaller versions in the 3" fat stick, normally a size 1 but sometimes a 1/0 depending where I'm fishing. I like using the Owner 5313 also, it is a short shank extra strong, similar to the Mustad steelhead hook but better but the cost is a killer.