Hey guys,

So I have this new glider that guys are going nuts for and ive switched to plastic and its pretty much ready to be produced in quantity. Unlike my previous models that were wood. I opted to go hard plastic so I can produce more to sell. My only problem is that painting is seriously kicking my butt. Im not quite sure what the issue is. I use plastic resin from a company called fabricast 50 from specialty resins. Now the main problem im assuming is the bonding. But it only really occurs on the back and belly of the bait. So thats no good when it comes to epoxying. It's almost like something is coming through the bait which I thought was some sort of contamination. But I use wax and grease remover prior to priming. Is it the spray bomb primer? Should I use a adhesive spray instead?

It takes several days for resin to settle down, before the resin completely hardens and stops leaking wax. I leave my resin casts a week before starting work on them.

Dave

Well that may be my problem. What do you do as far as prep? I an am currently doing wax and grease. Plastic primer and then kilz. I wait after priming 24 hrs. Will this work out?

In answer to your question, all I do is wash in warm soapy water. I do not paint my lures, I only build for myself and find they catch perfectly well without the aesthetics.

The MSDS sheet doesn't say anything about the final cure time or what you are expected to do for preparation. All you can do is make test pieces and try different times and preps until you find a combination that works for you.

There are many different types of resin; epoxy resin, polyurethane (yours), polyester resin (mine) and more. Each resin has its own properties and qualities. I can only comment on what I use.

Here is a

that explains some of the materials available, more for other readers, as the stuff you are using is just fine.

Dave Edited by Vodkaman

Have you tried using primer on the mold before you pour your resin into it, I do that with mine, I use Rust-Oleum Self Etching Primer and it bonds to the lure, Then I do  my sanding and use a filler primer then I go to my white primer then I use Create Paints, and finish off with HC Concrete Sealer about 5 dips. Size of lure 9" with lip. Hope that helps, I use Alumilite White Casting Resin with microballons.

Resin is resin...I use Alumilite for now.  I let mine settle for a week or more before doing anything with them....scuff sand and wipe down with an alcohol/water solution, prime coat and paint with minimal issues.  Some folks even go as far as washing their blanks in the dishwasher with dawn dishwashing liquid prior.  Overall, patience is key....don't RUSH any process.  

Good Luck

• Like 1

Resin is resin...I use Alumilite for now. I let mine settle for a week or more before doing anything with them....scuff sand and wipe down with an alcohol/water solution, prime coat and paint with minimal issues. Some folks even go as far as washing their blanks in the dishwasher with dawn dishwashing liquid prior. Overall, patience is key....don't RUSH any process.

Good Luck

My original testers were alumilite. To be honest they priming/painting went smoothly. And I didnt wait very long. I think I need to go back to their products. Im honestly starting to think it's something with this specific resin? I literally have a tester with no epoxy and water based createx on it. And I have thrown that thing in a pool and let it roll around in my car etc. And the paintjob still looks good. I may have waited a day of 2 before I painted... But you are the 2nd person that has said that to me now. So I will give it a shot. Alumilite say that you should paint right away? Or paint in mold. Which isnt really an option. Could I put adhesive promoter in the mold before casting? Edited by Esoxkid06