Flippinstick Mike

Replacing Fg30 Brush Guards With A Wire Option

You can use wire in those molds and there are a few ways to do it. The first thing is wire, you can use braided wire or single strand wire. Single strand wire you would want is probably like 0.18" diameter and for Surflon 7 strand wire you want 15lb or 20 lb test. You can also buy wire weed guards from Lure Parts Online, and not the Do-it ones but they have their own, I'd post a link but my browser doesn't work well with this site. Now, there are 2 ways to go about this, you can fill the weed guard slot with a hi-temp RTV silicone on both sides of the mold and then makea small slit in it just deep enough to hold the wire, or you can take a skirt collar and open it up and put your wire in there. Once you have your wire in the rubber skirt collar, lay it in the weed guard slot so that the skirt collar is at the entrance to the head and your wire is positioned correctly and then close, hold tight and pour. You may get a little smoke from the skirt collar but it will be fine and it will last for 10 to 12 pours maybe more.

I use a piece of weed whacker plastic strand instead of wire, and it works great.  I hold it in position in gap filling super glue, and add a drop of accelerant to set the glue fast.  Once it's set and hard, I can use a rubber jig band to hold the plastic strand on top of the hook, if I want to fish really gnarly stuff, or just let it float above the hook like a regular weed guard.  It doesn't interfere with the hook set.

Mark Pack actually came up with this idea, and patented it, so do not use it for jigs you want to sell, or you'll infringe on his patent.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I use a piece of weed whacker plastic strand instead of wire, and it works great.  I hold it in position in gap filling super glue, and add a drop of accelerant to set the glue fast.  Once it's set and hard, I can use a rubber jig band to hold the plastic strand on top of the hook, if I want to fish really gnarly stuff, or just let it float above the hook like a regular weed guard.  It doesn't interfere with the hook set.

Mark Pack actually came up with this idea, and patented it, so do not use it for jigs you want to sell, or you'll infringe on his patent.

Thank you Mark. I appreciate the info.

I use the replacement weed trimmer stuff I got from the local lumber yard, .065.  It seems like a med. brush guard, but doesn't collect as much crap when I pull it through heavy stuff.  I actually put it in some weedless chatterbaits I made from weedless jig, and it works for them, too.  I haven't had one come out yet.