Ed_White

A New Way To Screw Up

Couple of nights ago, I had a black batch heating in the microwave, about 1/1-2 cups of plastic in a 2 cup Pyrex........I heard *tink* come from the microwave, and opened the door to find lots of broken glass and hot plastic, thankfully all contained by the rotating glass dish in the micro. Let it cool off, peeled it into the trash, and went on.

I'm wondering what might have caused this? My usual process is remove heated cup from micro and set on a med temp hotplate while I stir, then back into the micro, been doing this for years. Don't think I damaged the Pyrex cup, but maybe there was something I couldn't see. Any ideas? Glad it wasn't on the hotplate when it let go, what a stink that would have made.

Years ago my wife had a pyrex pan full of au gratin potatoes fall apart in her hands as she was taking it out of the oven.  Fortunately she was wearing oven mits.

The pan had been used for a long time, and I think the numerous expansion/contraction cycles of being used finally just overstressed the pyrex.  Kinda like metal fatigue.

Pyrex glass is just tempered glass, and it's tough, but it isn't indestructible.

I use silicone NorPro cups now.

Poured till around midnight this past weekend, left the 1 cup Pyrex sitting on the counter. Came back to the garage the next day (13 hours later) and was working on something else on the other side of the garage. I heard what sounded like someone had dropped a bottle and broke it, and to my surprise it was the Pyrex shattered all over my work area and floor. Man, was I glad that didn't happen while I was open pouring the previous night. By the way the Pyrex new and only used a few times AND I ordered borosilicate cups right away!

I just ordered a Norpro cup (4 cup size) to try it. Thank you, Mark Poulson. I want to try one first and see how that works out. I also bought a cast iron pot with lid to leave on my griddle to keep the plastic warm while shooting. I like the idea of pinching the top of the cup to keep it warm.

I went to borosilicate cups on the good advice of gentlemen on this forum. No worries since

I've warned about exploding Pyrex numerous times in this forum. I also recommend boroslicate lab mixing cups but many don't want to spend the $ for them. I had a Pyrex explode completely(like a hand grenade)-years ago while stirring it @ waist height. Fortunately I had long pants and hiking boots on that day. I saw the Pyrex start to spider web and immediately held it away @ arms length I haven't even considered using Pyrex since. Too many on this site go low budget and use Pyrex and breath the fumes directly removed from a microwave w/out proper ventilation. You only have one set of lungs and eyes!

• Like 4

It's expensive.

I cannot seem to copy the Amazon URL into this message (It is to long).

Go to Amazon and search for:

Arcuisine Borosilicate Glass Measuring Cup 4 Cup

​They make other sizes to. It is thicker than a chemistry beaker.

Edited by RSullivan

I did purchase the Arcuisine Borosilicate Glass (basically shaped like pyrex) and was debating on the beaker style before purchase. Figured the cost now might be less PAINFUL! 

Pardon my bluntness-You should buy you baits if a $25.00 borosilcate lab cup seems expensive. This is not a cheap hobby / business to get involved with if  you don't value your personal safety and - are unwilling to spend $ to protect your eyes, lungs and body.

Your bluntness is pardoned, but the PUN on the COST savings was my eyes and face, and nothing to do with $$. Described earlier in the thread, I had one blow up last weekend and was enlightened right away, and replaced immedaitely. 

Im sure when you were getting started you jumped right into borosilicate and never used pyrex or dont have any now? We are all here to learning or teach I assume. 

Being blunt, I would try and read the entire threads before being sarcastic but again maybe you missed it. 

I didnt go with the beaker style boro glass, due to the thin glass. My question is.... has anyone seen any issues with using it and is there an advantage to going to it? I assume it would cool quicker and didnt want that.

The thinner glass is actually a good thing, because the glass is able to heat and cool evenly, which removes the kind of internal stress that causes thicker pyrex glass to fail eventually.

The thinner glass is actually a good thing, because the glass is able to heat and cool evenly, which removes the kind of internal stress that causes thicker pyrex glass to fail eventually.

I was thinking the same thing but in another way. I have had one break way back when I first started, that being said it was new or almost new when it happened. And never happened again after years of use. I don't just have one I have four of each size,four cups, two cups and one cup. I was thinking was it a flaw from manufacturing? My cups are more than 6 years old now and I have dropped them and had them fall off my work bench and still have not broken. Chipped a four cup years ago but still nothing. I have some of the beakers I use for dipping but I have dropped those and broken more than I care to say. The handled lab cups look good but I still have had no problem with just standard Pyrex. When mine broke it was more of a cracking sound and then just a lump of hot plastic in my griddle. Wondering if anyone who had one break could remember if it was a new one?

I wondered myself.  I am using a mix of Pyrex and Anchor cups and the only one I broke from thermal shock was one I set on the drill press table on a cold winter day right after I took it out of the microwave.  I'm not saying it won't happen.  I very much see how it can happen.  Just hasn't happened to me.  I have broken a couple from pushing them off the bench. 

I sincerely hope that none of you ever experience an exploding Pyrex hand grenade filled w/ hot plastisol @ shoulder and/or face level. The result will end in a disaster from glass shrapnel and plastic to your face and eyes.

Peace and good luck! :halo:

Did you get hurt? You keep saying grenade but you are still here and I am really convinced if you got hurt you would have said so by now. The lab cups break too but I admit it was my fault and believe it is from being thin. I have found thicker ones but not in the sizes I want.

Frank- I spent 4 years in the military and hunted for 42 years. It sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun going off. There were chunks of glass of all sizes all over the shop for a radius of three (3) feet. Fortunately  I extended and dropped my arm below waist height when I saw the Pyrex glass start to spider web seconds before it exploded like a hand grenade.My h.d. long pants were ruined w/ plastisol and glass but I was not.I was wearing h.d. gloves @ the time.I'll not bring this up again for a cross examination. Do as you please and draw your own conclusions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exploding+pyrex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8