Ed_White

A New Way To Screw Up

Ok I will try and not cross examine you, I feel bad cause you lost a good pair of pants. But for every negative you must search for a posative here is mine http://www.anchorhocking.com/Bakeware_Facts.html#

Everyone always call it Pyrex but of 12 I use all the time 11 are anchor brand. I did find some cups made the old way on Amazon and did purchase 4 of the four cup ones, not a bad price 19.99 each delivered in one day. They look a lot thicker than the ones posted earlier by far but I will see when they get here tomorrow.

The cup that went on me last week was Anchor, no more than two weeks old and I had hardly had time to get it dirty. I think I may have used it twice previous but had not dropped it or given it any reason on my part to have been cracked. Just gave me an eye opener when it went off 13 hours after use, just sitting on the counter. As smallmouth stated it was in about a 3ft radius too 

This subject raises this question for me... who is wearing safety glasses, who is wearing goggles, is anyone using a face shield? Are safety glasses good enough if you do happen to get THE BOMB and maybe plastic in the face?

A quote from Anchor Hocking link that Frank posted-

"In addition, if you have a broken Anchor Hocking product, please be sure to keep all pieces of the product. Anchor Hocking welcomes the opportunity to examine the product to determine the cause of any product failure and to address any customer concerns."

No further comment from me!

The cup that went on me last week was Anchor, no more than two weeks old and I had hardly had time to get it dirty. I think I may have used it twice previous but had not dropped it or given it any reason on my part to have been cracked. Just gave me an eye opener when it went off 13 hours after use, just sitting on the counter. As smallmouth stated it was in about a 3ft radius too 

This subject raises this question for me... who is wearing safety glasses, who is wearing goggles, is anyone using a face shield? Are safety glasses good enough if you do happen to get THE BOMB and maybe plastic in the face?

This is what I was thinking about it being new. You don't have to give it a reason to break they just do. One of the four cups I dropped has a big chip missing off the top rim and it still has not broken(exploded if you like more drama). My new old style ones are going to be here today so I will be safe from the big bad cups that explode like a hand grenadeand sound like a 12 guage going off. Actually glad one of the 12 guage ones have not gone off at my house my city has a devise that tracks gun shots and I would be having to explain it was my Pyrex cup that made the sound. Hope the cops fish!

This is what I was thinking about it being new. You don't have to give it a reason to break they just do. One of the four cups I dropped has a big chip missing off the top rim and it still has not broken(exploded if you like more drama). My new old style ones are going to be here today so I will be safe from the big bad cups that explode like a hand grenadeand sound like a 12 guage going off. Actually glad one of the 12 guage ones have not gone off at my house my city has a devise that tracks gun shots and I would be having to explain it was my Pyrex cup that made the sound. Hope the cops fish!

I fail to find any humor in your condescending remarks concerning a most unfortunate and potentially dangerous situation that I chronicled in detail.Using Pyrex glassware in  microwave ovens can be dangerous.

I have around 30 plus years combined in pouring and wet bench chemistry work (5 days in the lab heating solutions, chilling solutions, solids etc...) so feel my experience overall likely dwarfs most in regards to glassware and thermal shock.   I have had Pyrex cups break with plastics and in the lab and borosilicate glass also (just less likely do to the smaller coefficient of expansion).  I have little fear or worry of "explosion" and further the risk of injury from the "explosion" even less of a concern.  Yes it can happen and precautions should be made and avoidance of some situations that increase the odds of failure do to thermal shock.  The last few cups I replaced were with borosilicate and still better options available if one is really worried.  I also use long sleeves and pants most of the time and gloves with the injector.   

I don't think the risk should be scoffed at but we shouldn't take it to the point of hysteria.   Many more people a day use Pyrex in the microwave at home, in the oven, etc... and have it explode but as of yet hasn't caused any sort of safety recall due to injuries.  Bottom line as of now it really isn't a common injury. 

If we all posted are pictures I think we would see that many are very comfortable with the high risks of being obese, smoking, etc....    even though the risks associated with these factor far outweigh in severity and occurrence injuries from an exploding pyrex cup.

• Like 2

I fail to find any humor in your condescending remarks concerning a most unfortunate and potentially dangerous situation that I chronicled in detail.Using Pyrex glassware in  microwave ovens can be dangerous.

I only find humor in the drama. I too have had one break but it was a crack sound followed by plastic flowing on my griddle. It's one thing to let people know what can happen and beware and another to TELL people it will with words that at least to me are drama filled. I have broken more of the beakers than the Pyrex. I did get my new cups yesterday, I feel so much safer now, Not the beakers but cups that look like the Pyrex made the old way. They have a much better spout and don't dribble like a Pyrex.

• Like 1

I only find humor in the drama. I too have had one break but it was a crack sound followed by plastic flowing on my griddle. It's one thing to let people know what can happen and beware and another to TELL people it will with words that at least to me are drama filled. I have broken more of the beakers than the Pyrex. I did get my new cups yesterday, I feel so much safer now, Not the beakers but cups that look like the Pyrex made the old way. They have a much better spout and don't dribble like a Pyrex.

Which cups did you get?