fishon-son

Ribbit Frog

If using dark colors try grinding up some cork. I have made frogs from this an they float a 5/0 hook .I have a block of cork i got cheap from a place that sells it for people that make sculptures outta it.. I FORGET if it's the low or high density cork though.. 1 is better than other

• Like 1

Got me curious, so i looked and found this

Is this the same frog? Cause it don't float

Ive been working on a floating frog for over a month now.. Think i finally got it

Durring my struggles, i tried using microballoons... They work, frog floated, but man was it ugly!

Problem #1 was the color... I added double the ammount, close enough to live with

Problem #2, made the plastic softer, kinda "spongy" even... I could live with that too

Problem #3, kinda anticipated this one.. 90% of the mb's floated up to the top of the bait... Made one whole side look foamy like tap beer.... That's when i decided to try something else

Not sure about cork, but id assume it would do the same thing.... Air seems to work fine though

I just have not really been happy with any solid body floating plastic.  I did the microspheres thing.  Couple different kinds and colors.  (white and brown)  The closest I came was

1.  Cutting a foam earplug to fit inside the mold

2.  Hand pour the mold partially full

3.  Stick the plug into to stick in place

4.  When plastic is still hot, but not flowing close mold and finish injecting. 

I was able to (just barely) float a 5/0 heavy wire hook.  The problem was it truly was a one fish bait.  The plastic was so thin around the plug, that it would tear and the ear plug would p0p out on the first fish almost every time. 

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

I just have not really been happy with any solid body floating plastic. I did the microspheres thing. Couple different kinds and colors. (white and brown) The closest I came was

1. Cutting a foam earplug to fit inside the mold

2. Hand pour the mold partially full

3. Stick the plug into to stick in place

4. When plastic is still hot, but not flowing close mold and finish injecting.

I was able to (just barely) float a 5/0 heavy wire hook. The problem was it truly was a one fish bait. The plastic was so thin around the plug, that it would tear and the ear plug would p0p out on the first fish almost every time.

And that just seems like waaaay too much time to spend making a few baits. I was doing a similar thing putting a few BBs in frogs for a couple friends who like to fish the frog like a fluke and it just simply wasn't worth the time to mess with it. Eventually you have to value your time at least a little even if you're like me and your time is useless haha!

Mine is hollow, using a "carve to fit" insert.. Only had time to shoot 1 so far, it easily floats a 3/0 hook, sure 4/0 would be no problem either.. Ill try a 5/0 just for bragging rights

Itll b in the gallery when i get time to shoot more

Eventually you have to value your time at least a little even if you're like me and your time is useless haha!

Good point... But, the irony

If we were so concerned with time, i think we'd just buy all our lures from Cabelas like every one else

On countless occasions ive invested weeks/months of my precious little time off work trying to design and make that new lure no one else has, only to end up with a wall full of failures..... But the handful of times it did work out made it all worth it in the end!

Im sure we all have our own reasons for choosing this hobby... To those who do it just because they have time to kill, i envy you!

• Like 2

Got me curious, so i looked and found this

Is this the same frog? Cause it don't float

Ive been working on a floating frog for over a month now.. Think i finally got it

Durring my struggles, i tried using microballoons... They work, frog floated, but man was it ugly!

Problem #1 was the color... I added double the ammount, close enough to live with

Problem #2, made the plastic softer, kinda "spongy" even... I could live with that too

Problem #3, kinda anticipated this one.. 90% of the mb's floated up to the top of the bait... Made one whole side look foamy like tap beer.... That's when i decided to try something else

Not sure about cork, but id assume it would do the same thing.... Air seems to work fine though

THATS THE FROG..BUT NOT THE ONE IM TALKING ABOUT...its a super high floater  srff-311  catalpa  5 per bag    cant get them anymore  not on the web and Stanley said there discountuied   I found a few bags at the gander mountain store and bought them out....great bait for me  holds and floats a double frog 4/0 hook well......its like foam  not plastisol  my baits are black and green ..I found they really work well in o-1 ft. of water at sun up...and what a buzzing sound the feet make...the black/green color is the only color I have found them in...nothing else....upc 010851162116. if you can find them on line....I have enough to last a while but just wondered what they made them from........

Mine is hollow, using a "carve to fit" insert.. Only had time to shoot 1 so far, it easily floats a 3/0 hook, sure 4/0 would be no problem either.. Ill try a 5/0 just for bragging rights

Itll b in the gallery when i get time to shoot more

Ok, got er dun!

Heres my frogs

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/15863-hollow-frog/

• Like 2

Playing with the Alumilite Flexible Foam, 3lb density, myself for similar issues. 

http://www.makelure.com/store/p/974-Flexible-Foam-3lb-Density.aspx

Will report in the spring, but so far it looks promising.  But, you will have an opaque product, not a clear or transparent product.

• Like 1

Early test suggest it will hold up, and the density can be controlled some by "packing" it.  Or, in other words, not allowing it to expanding completely in the mold.

Stuff seems pretty tough.

PS, this stuff is not a ridged foam, it is more like the foam cushions are made from.

Edited by Anglinarcher
added information