Chuck Young

Lead Ingestion By Waterbirds

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the works...  A few years ago I received a survey from USFWS.  There were several questions in it that were in my opinion intended to brainwash you to think that steel shot doesn't damage shotguns except for some old antiques.  It was subtle, but it the intent was clear.  If it had been just one question, but there several questions around the subject. 

They key was something like have you personally had a shotgun other than an antique damaged from firing steel shot? 

I don't recall the exact wording, and I am sure I made it sound more inflammatory, but the intent was clear to me. 

• Like 1

One thing we can and should do is vote for the politicians that support our hobby and our sport.

Come November we can make a difference if we study these politicians and vote accordingly.

Not to get into the 2nd amendment but people have long said they may not need to ban guns. But they will tax our ammunition to the point that shooting and/or hunting isn't practical.

Could these lead bans be a start in pricing many fishermen out of fishing?

That's the big picture and what worries me.

Ca has pretty much banned all lead for hunting in firearms.  They said, no lead within the range of the Ca condor.  Who says what the range of a bird is that can soar for hundreds of miles.  They side stepped the 2nd amendment issue and the ATF by not banning lead ammunition.  You may still have it for other purposes. 

I would note that while lighter and quite expensive Rotometals has some non-lead casting alloys available. 

Further copper bullets are becoming more available.  Not as good as lead, but it works.  Its also within the realm of home shops.  Not as easy to work as lead, but not impossible either. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

The fact is that most people are dumb! If they hear something enough times they will take it for fact. This is how PETA, Humane Society and other organizations make money. Take a small cute animal, puppy or cat and tell the world how your going to save these animals and people will send you money without knowing if your doing anything or just putting the money in your bank account!

The fact is that most people are dumb! If they hear something enough times they will take it for fact. This is how PETA, Humane Society and other organizations make money. Take a small cute animal, puppy or cat and tell the world how your going to save these animals and people will send you money without knowing if your doing anything or just putting the money in your bank account!

We had an individual locally during the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts collecting money and gifts for the troops overseas.

Turns out he was collecting mostly for himself and faced a big fine and some other penalties.

Yep people kept seeing his signs and table outside of Walmart and started donating.

I remember when Peta got caught shooting animals they rescued from the pound.

The original intent was to rehome the ones that were going to be euthanized but they found out it was more difficult than they thought.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220.html

We need to keep this about sound science. Not made up facts.

• Like 1

It is clear from their site that they are well funded and have an agenda. Live feeds of nesting loons and all. Couple of politicians in their back pocket. They have a list of businesses that donate to their cause. It is a list that I will avoid doing business with at any cost. 

NH governor Maggie Hassan signed the bill into law in 2013. I am unclear when the changes were made to include 1/2 oz to one ounce and jigs over an inch long. It happened over the last winter with no warning to sportmen until after the 2016 season began. I placed several calls to NH fish and game asking:

How are they planning on enforcing it? Will they bring lead test kits to the field? Will they make the same test kits available to the sportsmen, or will we have to but a 3m lead test kit for $137 that will do 25 jigs? Will they be scraping or cutting custom made , painted, or epoxied jigs. to determine lead content? I was told that conservation officers would be using "wide discretion" in their enforcement. "They have no guidelines in place." "If a jig seems too heavy you will probably get a $250 dollar fine and possibly lose your license for a year." "You should probably just throw them all away and start over." 

My impression from these conversations left me feeling that I was going to have to prove that my already confiscated jigs were not lead. And I have no idea how to pull that off. All of us are trying to figure ways to pour non lead jigs that are just as dense and hence will perform just as well. It pains me to think that here in NH you could accomplish that feat and still get hooked. I have no confidence in NH fish and Game - the way this was sprung on us. If you are planning a fishing trip here, my advice would be to cancel it.

Told my nephew to hold onto all the jigs painted and unpainted I gave him and I get them the next time we went to visit.  

I've got to start pulling out all my docs and graphs that I've collected over the years on this because it's just plain BS what the so-called biologists have published.  

I've actually started to wonder if the real culprits behind the Lead Ban is the Tackle Manufacturers - everyone gives up our so called "cottage industry tackle makers" (that's in the original report by the way) and they start really raking in money!!!

• Like 1

The money for LPC and politicians has to come from somewhere. There is no reason why their research shows such skewed data - at least 17x the lead contamination and mortality of other reports. It sounds like a noble cause - "save the loons". The main causes for Loon decline have always been: 1) Human encroachment on habitat, 2) acid and mercury pollution.  

IMHO I offer more effective measures to reestablish loon populations: 

1)All members of the loon protection society donate their lakeshore properties as wildlife habitat in perpetuity. Monies collected from donors should be used exclusively to purchase additional habitat.

2) All politicians voting for Proposition 89 and similar bans should be required to give up their lakeshore properties as wildlife habitat in perpetuity . Donations (bribes) given to them by sponsors of these bills should be used exclusively to purchase additional habitat.

3) Any business contributing to acid or mercury pollution (including the much touted tungsten sinker / jig manufacturers) should be taxed at 20% of their annual profits. All the proceeds from these taxes are to be applied exclusively to puchasing lakeshore property as wildlife habitat in perpetuity.

4) Outlaw all lakeshore habitation in perpetuity. All lands to be kept as wildlife habitat in perpetuity.

5) give the country back to native Americans. There were plenty of Loons (the bird kind) then.

These steps would make a real impact on loon populations. But no one will ever make these suggestions - let alone make them stick.

If It is always a small price to pay - as long as someone else is paying it. Right now it has been determined that we will be the only ones paying it.

• Like 2

Having witnessed and contributed to a focused lobby effort, that's what the sportsman of NH will have to do. You guys will have to organize and lobby your state legislature to get this thing turned around. It will take time and commitment to do it but a bunch of PO'd citizen sportsman can get a few things changed. The fact this camel nose got under the tent in the first place is a catastrophe. Obviously a pointed effort to leave the citizens it most affects out of the NPRM (notice of proposed rule making) process. You guys need to establish personal relationships with your elected state representatives and senators. Apart from taking a meek stance and complying with this ill thought out legislation, it's the only option you guys have if you want it changed.

• Like 1