CNC Molds N Stuff

Left Handed Crankbait

A year or twelve ago a good friend of mine and now retired guide told me to, "Throw that left handed crank bait up along that dock."  I thought he was just being goofy, but he was pointing at a particular rod.  That was when I noticed he had two identical rods with identical crankbaits laying on the deck. 

My first cast wasn't great, but I immediately noticed the bait was running off to one side.  When I reeled it in I grabbed the bait with one hand and started to reach for it with the other hand when he yelled at me, "Hey!  What are you doing?"  I tried to say it needed to be adjusted because it was running off to one side.  Hey cut me off saying, "NO.  It does not.  Just throw it up along that dock like I said.".

Well I got a nice hook cast that swung in slightly behind the back corner of the dock.  I always like that presentation, because if you do it right it will carom off the back dock pole often provoking a strike.  It did, but no strike.  I prepared to just bring it down just slightly under the edge of the dock, and I was a bit surprised when it made a loud CLANG as it caromed off the second dock pole and then the third, where I got a crushing strike that nearly jerked the rod from my hands. 

Oh!  No it didn't not need to be adjusted.