Mr.t

Quality Stainless 6Mm Split Rings

Looking for high quality stainless rings with angle cut ends with offset center.I'm aware of Worth rings, Unpaintedlures.com.Unpaintedlures.com describe what I'm looking for but are out of stock.I ordered my rings from ebay,the rings were usa made but the angle cut on the ends was backwards making the points on the outside.Alot of the pics I look at its hard to tell if it angle cut and offset, looking for bulk with decent price.thanks for any help

Mr. T.

I'm somewhat confused as to what you mean by "high quality" Stainless Steel Rings.

If you are seeking some quality other than 304, 316 or 316L my guess is that you should search the various on line jewelry findings places. I just bought some special wire today from  Unkamen Gifts. Over the years, my wire searches have turned up findings places that offer to build stuff.

But if by "high quality" Stainless Steel Rings you mean those in women's jewelry, I am clueless.

Good luck.

John

I looked around last night and what I thought you meant about offset centered rings were "oval" (assuming). High quality ss is what Bassrecord stated in grading. 304 having more carbon than 316L, other words 316L is the higher quality/grade, having more nickel and chromium and less carbon. These grades are used in more mainstream applications. There are more grades but I will let them be.

I couldn't find any other then polish steel. I'm sure they are out there but not in normal tackle suppliers list. I didn't look or search very hard tho.

Good luck,

Dale

ps, most suppliers will state ss as a description. If they give you grade, the supplier knows why. You may want to deal with them.

Edited by DaleSW

By high quality, I mean they have angle cut ends with the offset.if you look at various split rings on ebay some are cut flat on the ends,this can cause the ends to hang up on the hook hanger during fighting a fish bending the split ring,I know from experience! ,some of the ends of the wire don't wrap around very far leaving a big gap between the ends,those type aren't as strong

I know what you are now talking about "off set" now. Just about all suppliers carry these types. The "tapered cut" ends, I don't remember seeing that type before. As far as the grade most suppliers just state stainless steel.

When I see a break down in the material or the structural strength of rings, hooks etc. I will replace them. The time of break down all depends on how much I use the bait. But of course I use all ss in my hangers, tow eye, rings and maybe hooks or polished steel hooks. My hand formed wire hangers, tow eyes are 316 ss.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I don't know Mark for sure but the rings I use are hard as heck to open for some 1/0 claw hooks. I always try to use a ring one size smaller then the bait industry uses, if possible.

I was told once that a pipe is stronger to rupture issues if it was a smaller diameter (more strength). So when I started to make baits I tested ring strengths. I found that this held true with rings. As long as all other attributes were the same (fine,regular or heavy and material grades).

Now see what you have done, you have got me curious. I wonder if I can find some testing equipment again. :)

Oh well I'm happy so what the heck,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 2

With this being you with the experience that you have Mark I'm really feeling apprehensive to say this. You do have what you want in strength and a supplier didn't throw in some heavy's/strong? I guess one batch could be different grade in the manufacturing of them. There is no quality assurance with them I'm sure. The consistency is not there all the time I guess.

I have seen this occasionally myself.

Dale

I'm also looking for splits like unpainted lures sell.  I do believe they are #2, #3 SS rings from barlows, and the zinc plated ovals look like they could maybe be the #5s they carry.  I tried emailing dudley(unpaintedlure.com)but never get responses.  

That's crazy to ship at that price just outside of the US. Unless your shipment is huge! Is it just shipment or include taxes? Just curious, still a lot it seems.

Wow,

Dale

I just checked their international package prices and that was priced for a 3lb package.  Depending on where you are shipping from prices can get ridiculous, it is actually cheaper for me to ship my painted lures to the USA($8CAD) then to ship them 2 hours west of where I live ($14CAD).  There would most likely still be some taxes or duties, I was going to buy some jig molds to make it worth while ordering but with the Canadian dollar being so low I will have to find a different route.  

*Important Note*  I contacted worth directly about the rings I was interested in and they sent me some free samples and a sizing chart.  I ask for the #2,3,4 SS rings and the #5 zinc oval.  Will update you all when I can determine the proper size and strength.  

Edited by Centigrade

It has always been my understanding that SST split rings were not as springy as chrome plated steel, so they opened more easily when installed on fatter hooks and hook hangers, and didn't close back up afterwards.

Maybe I'm way behind the times, but this is rwhat I remember.

I have noticed the same thing, mark. I bought some of the spring steel rings at Barlows. They definitely are more user friendly. But I think the stainless rings are stronger. Then there is the rust factor. Any newbys are advised not to open any rings more than absolutely necessary to get them started. 

Edited by Chuck Young

I don't know Mark for sure but the rings I use are hard as heck to open for some 1/0 claw hooks. I always try to use a ring one size smaller then the bait industry uses, if possible.

I was told once that a pipe is stronger to rupture issues if it was a smaller diameter (more strength). So when I started to make baits I tested ring strengths. I found that this held true with rings.

Great comment, Dale. I hadn't really thought about that, but it makes total sense. When you get into salt water lures, the wire diameter usually changes with the ring size; so I expect the larger rings are stronger. But equal wire sizes - definitely go small!

I bought some chrome plated heavy duty spring steel #4 split rings from Barlow's Tackle.  

I just put some on two PVC baits I just made, and they went over my .072 screw eyes without opening up.

That is another good point. Screw eyes are so much more robust than the wire loops on most lures (.023 to .041)

If the grade is the same and the wire size is the same then yes it's better as long as the ring does not impede the hook movement which creates issue in action of a bait.

Lol, yes I test every completed bait for its original action (video). I always have even with plastic blanks.

I know I'm crazy! :)