Les Young

Safe Alternative To Worm Oil ?

On 9/21/2016 at 1:11 PM, mark poulson said:

Toad,

WD 40 is illegal to use on or in baits in CA.  Don't have a clue why.  It is a killer catfish bait scent.

I used to know an old timer who used the old yellow/orange dial bar soap on a trotline and it worked like an absolute charm.  Catfish truly will eat damn near anything it seems :lol:

On 10/22/2016 at 9:19 PM, rixon529 said:

Worm oil is DINP (diisononyl phthalate) or DOP (dioctyl pthalate), both of which are a pthalate used as a plasticizr. I think this is a point of confusion what with all the talk of "pthalate-free platisol", etc.

It has been mentioned in the past that "pthalate free plastisol" is kind of a gimmick. People want/like to hear that those bad carcinogenic pthalates are absent from the plastics used to make lures, but fail to realize that the other products that are added to the pthalate-free plastisol actually DO contain pthalates (colorant, softener, hardener, worm oil) and those products are therefore putting the pthalates back in.

Hate to contradict, but Worm Oil is not DOP. DOP is used to make Plastisol (along with a couple of other secondary plasticizors) but also in plastisol is a specific type of mineral oil that is compatible with the PVC resin.

10 hours ago, Judgie said:

It's been great no effect on the bait and after a week they are not oily or sticky.

Just a few drops in the bag and move them around then let them be.

In the past people have said that Mineral oil will make the baits get hard over time .

Keep us posted . 

3 hours ago, Bass-Boys said:

In the past people have said that Mineral oil will make the baits get hard over time .

Keep us posted . 

Don't know about that but after 3 months they are still soft and pliable, just like when they were made. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2016 at 8:27 AM, alsworms said:

I can tell you what NOT to use:  baby oil.

Lesson learned the hard way on that one.  Baits were stiff as a board after a couple weeks.   

Does it make the plastic brittle or is it pretty tough? does it discolor the baits? how long does it take for the plastic to get hard?

I vote for the scents as a substitute. 

Bang will work, Dr. Juice works, lots of them work.  Years and years ago I poured my own and did not even know about worm oil.  LOL  Ignorance was bliss in the early 80's.  I still have several of those baits and they are fine.

I like the fact that most of the scents seem to actually absorb into the plastic  if you use them instead of worm oil.....but I prefer the less expensive worm oil.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Seems there are a few options.  WD40, according to a tech site that ran a lab test, has C9 - C14 light end oils (hydrocarbons if you wish) that cut a mineral oil remainder.  If anyone has had a bad experience with WD40, I'd be interested.  Easy to use & cheap.  I'm using Dead-On plastic.

Good fishing!

glycerin

Products that commonly contain this ingredient include:

• face washes
  • skin creams and lotions
  • skin serums
  • skin toners
  • soap
  • mouth washes
  • cough medicine
  • condensed milk
  • processed meats
  • soybean products
  • condiments
  • commercial baked goods
  • e-cigarette liquid
  • antifreeze
  • Wondering where to buy glycerin? Pure liquid glycerin can be purchased online or at many drugstores.

How costly is glycerin price? A small bottle (around eight ounces) of 100 percent pure glycerin for topical use can be purchased for around $7 to $8.

some of my bait got powder paint in it (strong color) and it will dry out and stick to other powder paint soft bait

so I made 5 bags to test and glycerin will keep it from stick together.So fare my test is only 38 days long but works

Glycerin is a sugar alcohol with three hydrophilic hydroxy groups (-OH), which are responsible for its good water solubility.

Glycerin in the water to cool the soft bait down with..hmmm