TIMCOOK

Kbs Diamond Clear Not Durable

Looking for help. First of all, I use Flexcoat on baits I want to suspend flake in and it holds up fine but is too thick in my opinion for topwater and some crankbaits.

I have tried a couple MCU products and most recently KBS Diamond Clear based on so many recommendations.

I brush applied it and only did one coat. It looked great, and dried nice, shiny and smooth. I was very pleased with how the baits looked.

Then I fished with it. 30 bass later and the bait is shreaded. Lots of paint and clear coat gone and the bait is dull looking. I know all baits would show wear but this was not acceptable to me. What am I missing?

2 coats may be more durable but it seems to me that the finish would be as thick as flexcoat at that point.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cure time was only 2 days at most so maybe that contributed to it. As for number of coats, the texture of the bait (scale pattern) was for the most part smoothed over.

I'll do more testing with longer cure times and multiple coats.

From some other posts I am reading, automotive clear may be my only other option but want to avoid the fume and chemical issues.

I also think the cure time may have been too short. Until it cures, MCU is just a weak coating of urethane. I haven't tried KBS but Dick Nite cures hard in a couple of days in my experience. It might use different solvents and a different MCU formulation.