Ultimate Predators

Symmetry When Making Crankbaits/lures

When making crankbaits "by Hand", out of Balsa wood, other woods or Resins, what tools and methods does one use to keep symmetry within a crankbait body ?

I see a lot of discussions about maintaining a center line and eye balling the symmetry but I am wondering if there are more accurate ways.

I don't know how much you know. So bare with me on what I'll write.

To start with a mold for resins you need a master (to make the negative). Some people design a simple shape and use a router to round the edges. If you want to get more complex then maybe a profile gauge can help. I use files so I don't get crazy on removing and I can see the shape start to form into what I want. I mainly use a pencil and my eyes, that just what I do. You'll be surprised how you can do it. Yeah practice makes perfect.

I'm going to say what you really don't want but I believe a lot of these people do this or something similar.

I make a design on paper. These are of two sides of the bait (diminsion). These have center lines on the drawing. My wood has a center lines on the two sides. I then glue the drawings to each side. I use wood glue because it's strong enough to stay until I want it off. The end result is in my mind (such as it is). I start to shape the bait and keeping in mind what will work and/or what I want. Yeah... I use my eyes down the lines. I'll turn the blank around and around as I bring the symmetry in. Any new piece being created starts like this IMO. There is much more but not very time consuming.

Then you can use it to make your mold or put in a duplicator. OR you can take a manufacturer bait and make a mold. For me, I enjoy shaping/creating originals by hand.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

I have created baits in CAD 3D and 2D and I been gathering information, watching videos and Ive always wondered if anyone had a more automated approach. Your posts are very informative. Being a computer guy Ive thought about Duplicators, CNC, Carvers etc ...... and yet I still read that most is done by hand with simple tools. Scroll saws, Hand saws, Hand carving, sanders etc ....

Thanks I'm hoping there are others ways posted I want to hear them all.

http://www.ultimatepredators.com

Edited by Ultimate Predators

Using a preformed sanding block to round out top and bottom of balsa lures helps greatly. 

Helps out a lot.  

I have several I made on my lathe.  Just put a few different coves on some hard wood spindles then use Velco backing on the cove contour and then lay strips of hook and look sandpaper.  I can knockout a lot of lures fast.  I rough the blank with my carving knife for basswood lures and then sand.  Balsa can take direct and eat it away in seconds.

My basic rule is this: measure or template every thing you can measure or template, no matter how boring it may be or how little patience you may have. If you build with hand tools like me, that's the only way to prevent wood grain from fooling you into making a body that is not symmetrical.

• Like 3