dlaery

exhaust fan

i am looking for an exhaust fan for my homemade paint boot and this is one of the specs:

• CFM @ 0.000-In. SP1904
  • CFM @ 0.125-In. SP1812
  • CFM @ 0.250-In. SP1719
  • CFM @ 0.500-In. SP1429

I know what cfm stands for but I don't know what the rest means or how to put this in perspective.

I am guessing it has something to do with pressure

I want to know if this sucks or not.

the fan I use now puts out 1000 cfm but I am sure that is with no resistance and it is not a paint booth fan, it is a ventilation fan. I have a filter in the booth and this fan fills the filter up pretty quick but I need a little extra pull when I am spraying epoxy and the fan I have has a little bit of over spray on it and it is not working as good as it use to. I am going to put a 2nd filter in to try to keep it off of the fan.

In reading about the fan in question it is a paint booth 12" tubeaxial fan. 

It looks like it would be a lot better than what I have now. I am assuming this would pull almost twice as much as what I have now. what do you think?

This is copied and pasted doing a search as I was interested also. There is a way to figure out the SP but you would need to research that.

Those are static pressure (SP) adjustments. Static pressure is a confusing sounding term for resistance to flow. For example, if you put a 90 elbow turn in the duct, that causes a resistance to flow.  

CFM @ 0.000-In. SP 1005 means: 0.000 static pressure, i.e., if there is nothing creating any resistance to the flow... then the fan can pull 1005 cubic foot of air through the pipe, per minute.

CFM @ 1.250-In. SP 480 means 1.250 static pressure (measured in inches -In.), ie., if there is that much resistance to the flow... the fan can pull only 480 cubic foot of air through the duct, per minute.

You would have to do a static pressure calculation based on duct size, material, turns radius and locations, reductions, and duct length -- and the result would be a The SP#... then look for the number on that table and it will tell you what to expect that fan to be able to pull through it, in CFM.

I'll keep working on this. right now it makes 1-90, through a filter, then another 90. I checked on the resistance on the filter and it is next to nothing, what the tech said, so if I put 2 filters in line I get double next to nothing.

so I need to find out how much SP I get with 2 - 90's. If it is not more than 0.500-in, then this fan should work.:unsure:

I just hate trial and error. you know what they say "at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try...................again" :wacko: