jonister

Copics

Has anyone figured out a seal coat or undercoat that will save Copic from running? I just tried my regular paint sealer and it just ran off like water. It had been curing for a day at least. I always do undercoat of floor finish to protect the paint from my KBS and Art Resin and even the floor finish makes it run. I am very unsure what to use now. Everything makes it run. If anyone else has tried it and figured it out, anything would help! thanks guys!

I have been recently using the Copic Airbrush system to paint my lures and I absolutely love it. I have a few copic brand markers, but I found a cheap set of 80 alcohol markers on amazon for like $40.  They fit inside of the Cooic airbrush attachment almost perfectly, so I have been using those more lately.   

Anyway, I usually start with a coat of krylon cover max flat white spray paint.  Next I spray my alcohol markers on and dry for a few seconds with a heat gun. Then I hit it with a very light coat of krylon cover max flat clear.  I allow that to dry for 15-20 minutes.  Then I add the eyes and follow with a more generous coating of the krylon clear.  I allow that to dry and gas out over night and then finish with a coat of Devon 2 Ton epoxy.   I've used this technique with both the Copics and the cheaper markers and I have never had a problem with the markers running doing it this way.

I hope this helps.

BTW Here is a link to the cheaper markers I use, in case you are interested.  Like I said they fit the copic attachment pretty well.  I did discover that they work much better if you pull the nib of the marker out about 1/8-1/4" though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWSUXU7/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:06 PM, jonister said:

Has anyone figured out a seal coat or undercoat that will save Copic from running? I just tried my regular paint sealer and it just ran off like water. It had been curing for a day at least. I always do undercoat of floor finish to protect the paint from my KBS and Art Resin and even the floor finish makes it run. I am very unsure what to use now. Everything makes it run. If anyone else has tried it and figured it out, anything would help! thanks guys!

I just devcon  the swim baits I am painting, they are coming out great and the paint does not run at all. The epoxy makes the colors pop as well. I'd put some photos up to show you but I don't want to get in trouble.

Edited by earthworm77

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, DaleSW said:

@Jonister

I was told about the Copic System and have been reading the thread. With you using a airbrush, what have you found to be the best task to use these for? I would assume detail, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dale

The best thing is that it is no longer necessary to clean up after each color. The copic system does not really allow for any adjustment in the paint stream but it is pretty good if you realize the systems limitations. I'm painting swimbaits and I've done some bluegills that are out of this world. I really have no artistic talent but this system has me producing some really nice paint jobs.

Dale I'd guess maybe about the same. If you paint as little as me, or aren't producing too many baits for other guys you should be fine. They also have the refills and those last a while. Just make sure you put the caps back on tight! I've only ran out if blue, and my green is getting low. I've been using then for some time now. 

Also, I use the comic on flies and streamers simply because there is no clean up and it lasts on the fly. On lures I'm still getting around the whole paint coming off part but that's just a kink in my epoxy I use. Once I find a good one I'm sure it will work just fine. I feel it has just about the same limitations of an airbrush, but you can not mix colors unless you spray on. It's a pretty cool system though. 

I've painted close to 30 large swim baits, I have not run out of pen but they do make refills that refill the markers 4 or 5X that cost about 6.00.

They are alcohol based......just use devcon 2, they won't run.

I have zero artistic talent, with these markers, a few people might think I at least slightly know what I am doing.

017_zpsufbmepqj.jpg

024_zpsinyzfcoj.jpg

012_zpszrzrwkyd.jpg

011_zps6dayh9cu.jpg

Edited by earthworm77
  • Like 1