dlaery

milling Teflon

I was wondering if anyone has ever milled some flat bar teflon. I want to mill a cavity in some 1" sq x 1/4" thick. I need to put a pocket in this about .070" deep, so does it mill good?

this is for a mold  pouring lead. I used aluminum and it sucks the heat out too fast to get a complete pour and I thought maybe Teflon wouldn't suck the heat out so fast.

this stuff is $2.35 a sq in.

We have stuff milled at work  for our use, so yes it can be done.    I have drilled, routed, tapped etc.. teflon in the past but don't have a CNC mill.  

Now lets go to the potential real issue.  Working temperatures of lead are typically higher (200 -300 ° more) than decomposition temperatures of teflon and can result in some rather unpleasant side effects (aka: Teflon flu).  While the temperatures will not be sustained for excessive times I wouldn't think it would hold up very long to repeated excursions outside its recommended temperature range of good quality teflon and depending on your source of Teflon could be looking at 100 degree lower maximum temp.  Vespel or Kapton would likely be better options.

May find out you can get away with using teflon  but have to  replace every so many casts and work in properly vented set up.   May start off just pouring some lead onto the teflon and  see what happens before vesting too much time into it.

never heard of "Teflon flu" and I don't want it. I've had super glue flu and that it bad stuff!

ok, so no Teflon. I think I can make one out of vulcanized silicone.

Yes, using 32oz ladle, this is a spincast mold. I did heat the parts loaded in the mold with the top off the mold. Heated to 350F for 10 minutes, then put the top on put in the machine and got 75% of the cavities good parts, but the problem is the aluminum piece and 2 other metal parts. so I am going to try the silicone in place of the aluminum

this is not a fishing lure. My son says I don't know how to say no.

Thanks!

• Like 1