willgohome

first mold

Hi,

Just made my first mold, a 2 part out of watter putty. It's a copy of a 7 inch bass assassin with a tail modification used for salt water striped bass Went out last nite with 6 of them for a tryout. All 6 got chopped up by bluefish but that dosent say much because they will eat anything.

A few questions for you vets who will hopefully take the time to answer.

Is plaster of paris better for molds than water putty?

Can epoxy be used to coat the mold or is polyester resin better?

Is worm oil mixed with the plastisol or coated on the mold?

Is powder or liquid color agent better for a pearl white color?

PS I found that a common 1 inch roofing nail placed head down in each corner of the first half works well for positioning guide and the microwave is not affected when heating the mold.

Thanks for any replies and thanks for this forum and its members without which I could not have gotten started so easily.

Will J

I like water puddy better but the plaster molds I made turned out just fine when I began making molds. I used Devcon to seal the molds. I also just greased them up good with a fish attractant and just didn't bother using Devcon. They aren't quite as "smooth" looking but the fish havent seemed to mind. I use powder, lurecrafts, for pearl white.