slayer_21420

Can you Pour lead into alumilite?

Of course you can but should you?  In my limited experience with Alumite, it is not very buoyant because it's hard to add a lot of microspheres to it and get it to mold properly.  So you need to be careful in ballasting the lure not to get too much lead installed.  Pouring hot lead into a small ballast hole is not the easiest thing to do.  And you would need to carefully drill the hole to make sure it will hold the correct amount of ballast and that you have filled it to the proper level.  I think it's easier and more accurate to just glue a measured ballast weight into a crankbait.  There is also the question of what effect if any hot lead has on the Alumite.   I have no idea but unless there is no melting or charring, you will not get a securely installed ballast weight.  You'll find out how secure it is the first time you slap the lure on the water.  If it can, the ballast weight will break the finish and shoot out the bottom of the crankbait.  Don't ask me how I know this!  

• Like 4

I should've explained my intentions. 

This is for larger than average castings, being made into spearing decoys, and I'm getting good results even at 100% microballoons. 

I normally use red cedar and drill my holes for the weight so that the fins protrude into the lead cavities and the molten lead/fins lock eachother in place. 

After pouring the lead the decoy gets tuned to sit level and swim properly by drilling out a small amount of lead wherever needed to achieve balance. After all this is done the lead cavity is filled with epoxy putty. 

Basically as long as the alumilite doesn't degrade to the point of melting I should be ok as they don't take the same abuse as a bait.

IMG_1058.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by slayer_21420

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, slayer_21420 said:

When weighting, Can you Pour lead directly  into alumilite white? 

Or does a lead weight need to be inserted?

thanks!

Steve

Yes, I use to do it all the time with great results.  I changed my mold design and not it won't work, but when I go back to my top fill mold it works great.

The thing to remember is that the lead will settle to the bottom of your mold before the alumilite sets, so it only works if you have something to catch the lead or you want the lead on the bottom.

PS, I use lead shot when I mold the alumilite so there is no hot lead.  It would work great for your decoys.

Edited by Anglinarcher
additional information
  • Like 1