Backlash85

Swimbait first attempts

Hi Guys, 
 Long time lurker here.. I have been gathering information from all over the web and TU directly for months and decided that today was going to be the day I take the plunge. I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself all in all minus the fact that I caught myself a couple times (see thumb below) + need to get my head and tail less thick (hopefully that makes sense). I definitely gained a whole new respect for the lure makers of the fishing world. I would like to hear some feedback - What do you guys think? 1-10 body and shaping wise.. do I need to go back to the drawing board or am I on the right track? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

It depends on what you are after. That flat top of the head will drive the bait down (lipless). What type of wood is this? If you have too dense of wood, you will have trouble installing ballast.

I'm not going say that anything is wrong because what I think can be totally off. I believe in answering a question then stearing someone. The rules to bait making applies, is the head area wider then the tail? This promotes action in the bait. Wood density for bouyancy as I have already suggested. Is the symmetry of the bait balanced. This promotes a straighter run. You can play with the symmetry more later for the "hunting swim". Another is ask yourself what are you fishing for? What is the main size of forage fish that is in your area that the predictor fish feeds on?

I have had people tell me a certain thing would not work, but it did. So I can't be a hypocrite and say what's wrong. My personel taste is a more rounded body tho. Do what you intended for the bait. Remember failure is the best teacher if you are motivated.

Keep at it,

Dale

Thanks for the reply. The wood I went with is Cedar (since I am currently getting full blown access to a buddy cedar shop on weekends). I really like the Huddleston baits and that is the type of body style and look I am going for creating my first couple runs out of wood but then moving over to the molding process. We are fishing Largemouth Bass in Texas and the black gizzard style shads seem to work the best. I do plan on rounding the body a bit more but also keep the bottom a bit more flat. Let me ask you this, what would you suggest I keep doing to get that rounded end style?

I took a look at the baits that you are trying to create. That's a good question. I can only tell you what I do. I draw the out line (profile) of the bait in two deminsions. After looking at the bait fish I'm trying to imitate. However this pattern must be able to swim. I put center lines on the block of wood that I'm going to use. This also includes the X and Y lines. On all sides. This helps with alignment of your pattern drawing. I just cut the outline of my pattern to get the basic profile. Wood glue the drawing to the block of wood.

The bottom (belly) drawing has ballast info on it the side has the lip location and angle, tow eye location. I use a computer to make and save more patterns. I put lines on these two outlines where I want to start the rounding and ending. Here is where practice and eye for this comes into play. I just start filing the wood to what I want. If I'm making another I use a profile gauge to keep the copy as close as I can to the original.

Some use router to round (power tools) but I don't. For this some of my baits don't conform to such uniform look. There is more about drill ballast/weight holes, cutting lip slot prior to cutting and some other things that should be done.

You know that you could out line the bait you like to get this pattern/drawing.

This is a general way that I do the basic out line. I hope this helps.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Typo

All are nice looking baits. I didn't say this about how I cut and drill my ballast holes. When the piece of wood is in its rectangular or square shape and I have my pattern glued to the wood. I drill my ballast holes down into the wood a little. I cut the lip slot to what I want it. Then I cut the shape out and all of the joints. I need to thank Mark P for this info.

I glue the joints back together with a light coat of wood glue. After the glue is set up I shape the bait. I do all detail work and sand generally. I do all work on my ballast, completing the depth, putting in the bill if I want to. I then just snap the joint(s) lose.  Do all clean up including joint clean up, a more detail sanding.

I do then do my hinge work. I like a tight joint as possible, so sometimes I recess the eyes of the hinge (thanks BobP) into the wood. I sand it to a nice smooth and contour shape that I'm looking for.  After installing ballast and sealing, I put the bait in a jig to keep the bait tight for painting (thanks Ben).

Remember this bait has been tested. You can't do this on a prototype that hasn't been proven. You have to know where to put ballast and how much. There some other detail but you can ask a question and I will answer and others can give there advice.

Dale

• Like 1