Gentlemen,

I recently purchased this new mold.  The pros are really great.  I'm really liking the new 3/32 size.  The only real con I have is....Why in the tarnation did they not give you the option for a wire weedguard!!!  Man, that frustrates me!  First thing I did when I got the mold was imprint and needle file in my grooves to except a 7 strand wire.  Well, I do have one more con.  The mold does not except the Mustad 32833NP-BN hook which we all know is a nasty little Ned Rig hook  :D.   the mold calls for the Owner 3513 jig hook which is an awesome hook in itself...but a pricey little weasel.  I'm looking for options.  WHAT DIFFERENT JIG HOOKS HAVE YOU ALL TRIED THAT WORK WITH THIS MOLD???

some questions for you. The reason that jig doesn't have a weed guard is because it isn't designed for fishing in cover. The head is 3/8" in diameter, that coupled with a short hook helps keep sparse grass off the jig but it is meant as an open water finesse tactic. If you are using it around cover, chances are that you can do better using a different presentation, the mid west finesse technique is basically used to catch suspending and cruising bass in open water that normally won't hit larger baits. The reason for the 5313 hook is simple, it solves 2 problems with 1 hook, the first problem is there are anglers that want to use a larger hook, the 5313 is a short shank hook so the size #1 hook is more like a #1.5 but it still has the same bite as a size #1, and the same thing for the 1/0.  The other problem it solves is the strength, a lot of guys don't know how to finesse fish, they use line that is too heavy on rods that are too stout and they bend out Aberdeen hooks. The solution would to be to use a heavy wire hook like the Mustad 32833 but then you run into a problem of the guys that finesse fish a lot, they tend to use light line and lighter power rods which makes it tough to set the hook. The 5313 from Owner is a 1X strong hook that won't bend out for the guys using heavier tackle and it is still light and sharp enough that you can get good hook sets with light tackle. The Mustad 32833 also has another problem, the hook leg is too short so the hook wouldn't end up in the center of the head, instead it be positioned slightly forward and it would make you rig your plastic off center in order to get the same flush fit.  I'm not sure but I'm thinking the Gamakatsu 604 in a size #2, #1, and 1/0 might fit but like I said, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Smalljaw  thank you for explaining this in vivid detail.  Now the 5313 makes total sense.  I have no problem using that hook.  In fact, I just ordered some.  Before this new jig mold came out I was using the WRM-6-SLA that I had modified to accept the 32833 and that little outfit works out great for the Ned!  Still using it.  I understand your reasoning for no weedguard however, personally I like having the OPTION!  I have caught plenty of fish using the weedguard and have had no issues.  I have on one occasion cut the weedguard off fishing on some suspended fish and it worked just fine but generally I have not needed to do this.  But I do know that I have fished this Ned in a lot of cover and rock and  the weedguard  is a positive contributing factor!  So, it would have been nice if they had given us that option :angry:  Oh, and by the way Lurepartsonline.com had the best pricing anywhere on that Owner 5313!!!  However Im not happy with the 10.95 shipping charge.  They give you free shipping on 150.  Just a bit steep IMO.  If it were 99, they would have got a little more money out of me:P 

So Gentlemen I played around with new mold yesterday.  My owner hooks did not come in so I was unable to use them.  As already stated the Mustad 3833 I use in my other modified worm nose jig mold does not work in the new MFJ-6-A.  Smalljaw is right the hook leg is too short.  You may be able to get this hook to work but its gonna take some serious modification to your mold so I chose not too.  I had some other hooks around so I decided to see what would work.  Here's my findings:  I experimented with several sizes of the Mustad 323746 BLN which is Mustads Ultra point Aberdeen jig hook.  It is not a heavy wire hook.  Now right off the bat most people would think that this would be too light a wire for this application.  I beg to differ.  I settled on their size 1.  Poured both 3/32 and 5/16 sizes.  For those of you who know the Ned game this hook will be a fine substitute in my opinion.  I did not have any size 2 to test but if I had it would be my choice for the smaller sizes though the #1 will work.  I would not go above a size #1 even on the 5/16 size.  I tried the 1/0 and it did get a little wimpy in my opinion.  My Ned Rig set up consists of an All-Star ASR 7' Fast Med-Light Rod paired with a Shimano Stradic 2000 spooled with Berkely Nano-fil in 6lb using a 6lb fluorocarbon leader.  This outfit has caught plenty of Ned fish for me.  My personal best being a 19"+ smallie.  Again, the above is just an alternative IMO.  Maybe you can get some use out of it.  One last little tid bit...those hook keepers are a pain!    They don't like to stay put very well as they keep wanting to slide over in the hook slot.  They will test your patience! Typically I superglue to the head but decided I would try them.

GEDC0013.JPG

GEDC0017.JPG

GEDC0019.JPG

Walleye King  that sickle hook is a nasty little devil.  I started out using that hook on my neds and it did fine but it does have a tendency to "tear" a hole instead of penetrate like a needle.  I found I started getting a few more fish to the boat using the regular round bend.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Thanks....Oh the Ranger project will always be a project.  LOL.  She looked beautiful for about a year after I finished her and then I started putting dings in her.  I have a tendency to go places where I probably shouldn't but I know there's fish in there.  Hehe.  Nothing a little rough sanding and fiberglass wont fix.  Does my gel-coat look at pretty as it used to Uh, no.  But she's sealed and she floats :D  Maybe one day I'll fix the gel-coat in a few places.  If I ever get a new boat I'm hanging on to my 89 Ranger 374V.  I don't think Ill trade it in.  It'll be my ever on-going, beat up, fix up, go where the fish are boat.