CNC Molds N Stuff

Heavy Wire Smaller Eye Spinnerbait Hooks

I've been using the Mustad heavy wire spinnerbait hooks, and I really like them, but in the bigger sizes (5/0  & 6/0) the eye is quite wide.  I was wondering if there was a spinnerbait hook in those sizes (and length) and those heavy wire sizes that has a smaller eye.  I really like the Mustad hooks, and they work great in most molds, but when I am pushing height and length while still trying to hit a target weight the thickness has to suffer.  This makes the clearance around the eye very small and has a negative affect on the percentage of good pours from a mold. 

Yes, I'll email Harry at Mustad and ask if they have something different too, but this time of year I imagine he is quite busy. 

Now if I could only find my Mustad Hook catalog. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

I even considered partially cutting the eye on the hooks for my own baits.  Just leave enough of one side of the eye to act as a stop to prevent the hook from breaking loose and spinning in the head, but eventually all of my own designs are intended for sale.  I doubt customers would much appreciate a mold that says, "works great with XYZ hook, but you have to modify it with a cutting tool first."  LOL. 

The Gamakatsu 550 has a small diameter hook eye but I have never used that hook above a 4/0.  Another option would be the Eagle Claw L255, and it has to have the "L" designation, those are the laser sharp models and are much better than the original 255. That hook has the same length as the Mustad 32608 but the hook eye is slightly smaller in diameter so it may fit your needs. To be honest, and some won't believe me, I prefer the Eagle Claw L255 over the Gamakatsu because the shank length and I don't like cutting point hooks for spinnerbaits .

6 hours ago, EironBreaker said:

Why not just use a straight shank worm hook instead of a spinnerbait hook?  If you aren't looking to buy a large number of hooks, just grab a pack of hooks off the shelf and give them a try.  They have smaller eyes then a SB hook.

I actually have considered that.  Just haven't spent the time chasing down options just yet.  Heavy wire 5/0 Aberdeen hook anyone?  LOL.  

9 hours ago, smalljaw said:

The Gamakatsu 550 has a small diameter hook eye but I have never used that hook above a 4/0.  Another option would be the Eagle Claw L255, and it has to have the "L" designation, those are the laser sharp models and are much better than the original 255. That hook has the same length as the Mustad 32608 but the hook eye is slightly smaller in diameter so it may fit your needs. To be honest, and some won't believe me, I prefer the Eagle Claw L255 over the Gamakatsu because the shank length and I don't like cutting point hooks for spinnerbaits .

To be honest I am not a huge fan of G hooks anyway.  I've had some unpleasant surprises in tournaments.  I do model molds around them for customers upon request, but I tend to go with Mustad, Owner, or Eagle Claw when I am free styling my own designs.  I have several thousand Eagle Claw "L" jig hooks for my own use hanging on the wall next to the pouring bench.  A couple thousand Mustads too.  I think the "black nickle" Eagle Claws are every bit as good as anybody else's hooks.  

I used to be a big fan of the heavy TTI hooks, but they dropped so many from their line in the last couple years.  When Ron gets things sorted back out after TJs passing I'll give him a call and see what they still have in their line up.  They did have a small eye spinnerbait hook, but the wire size always made me nervous.  I think it was to small, but TJ swore they caught bull red fish on them with no problems.  

Thanks guys.  I appreciate it.