Tony6

Holographic fish scales

Yep it's Lee lures. And the people I emailed that know don't wanna answer. Lol. The big airbrush company from Austrailia emailed back and said it's vinyl cut holographics.  Emailed an owner form Createx also no luck. Ya know what it looks like though is the same material as the holo stickers  on a fishing pole. I'm gonna call mudhole tmrw and see what they say. It's gotta be printable off computer if I could find the right material

1.     Holoscale Foil

https://makewoodenlures.com/foiling-lures/

2.    WTP Lure Tape

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/s.nl/it.A/id.51114/.f

I would apply foil then cover with mesh to paint scales.

Some companies most likely use hot stamping then would have to paint scales on with mesh.  

Look up.  you tube holographic heat transfer tape on lures.

Hope this helps.

Edited by fshng2
  • Like 1

Awesome thanks. I gotta say I'm pretty new. Waited for airbrush and compressor in the mail. But watched tons of YouTube vids.  I bought blank stencils already. But to paint on the holographic foil , and leave the circles , that's reversed isn't it? Confused kinda on making stencil for that.  

Just youtubed holographic heat. Yep looks like that's how it's done.  How they put holographics on tshirts. Cad cut vinyl or tape then the machine cuts it then put the sticker on and it wouldn't leave the scales. Wanna figure out how to do it without Machine though. 

Here is how many of us do it in the holographic lure tape industry. The holographic vinyl in the picture  looks like silver rainbow holographic vinyl with no pattern usually about 2mil thick, but can be mfg'd in thinner sizes. The black pattern outlines that make the holographic vinyl look like fish scales are usually  applied with eco solvent inks from a large format printer. These inks that are available in CYMK as well as black and metallic inks can print on most vinyl surfaces including glow, holographic, iridescent and transparent vinyl mediums. If you have Adobe Illustrator, you can  design the pattern you want to run and print continuously.  With RIP software, you can next die cut patterns you want after printing since the printer will print registration points to follow when die cutting.  I hope that someone helps.

The Fishing Lure Tape Company

www.fishingluretape.com

P1010016.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Edited by sageflyfishing
add more definitive info
  • Like 3

This might help out. It's a spray mask.  Apply the holo tape, spray a light coat of mask through the net , remove the net, then spray color over the mask. That will leave the holographic paper showing once the mask comes off. Cleans off with warm soap and water, so brush is easy to clean. Peeling it off would be time consuming...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/486159-spraying-liquid-mask.html

http://parmapse.shptron.com/c/faskolor-paint-shop_fasmask-liquid-paint-mask

Edited by StriperCandy
additional info

Awesome thanks a lot guys. A lot to learn on that one. I'm still doin it. It looks like there is some holo paint made for a airbrush and auto stores wonder if that looks as good? Then I could make my own stencil. I suppose then I have to figure out what kind won't react. I'm gonna be using createx   . This guy doesn't say  what kind of paint and it's not in the comments 

IMG_0749.PNG

7 hours ago, Tony6 said:

Awesome thanks. I gotta say I'm pretty new. Waited for airbrush and compressor in the mail. But watched tons of YouTube vids.  I bought blank stencils already. But to paint on the holographic foil , and leave the circles , that's reversed isn't it? Confused kinda on making stencil for that.  

Check out Paul Adams video for applying scales. For what you are wanting you would need a really thick mesh to let most of the holographic show thru.

Just thought of something else,

How about you apply the holographic paper, then print out a black line scale pattern on water slide paper, and just apply that on top of the holographic paper. The water slide decal is clear, so you would see the holo paper, except where you printed the lines. You can get the stuff on line at Papilio.com, it's the Inkjet Clear Waterslide Decal Paper. 

I think to get get near the effect your after without hot stamp equipment  (big bucks) using a printer,you would have to either print black onto holo foil or as stripercandy suggestes print scale outline onto clear waterslide decal ,then apply to holo foil. If you go that route use lazer printer if possible, if you use inkjet the colour must be fixed with acrylic spray. The stuff I was doing which dale referred to was applying a few scattered individual holo scales over foil to give a wounded knocked about scale look. I wouldn't fancy attempting to cover a whole lure with that methodu ! W.T.P do some nice looking holo scale stuff that you might want to check out,not the same as your pic but well worth checking out.....glider

Edited by gliders

Does die cutting or plotting just give individual cut shapes ?,in other words do you end up with scale shape stickers that you apply individually ? If so then I'm not convinced thats how the lee lure above is done,and definitely not how salmos are done. Having said that ,I now want a plotter cutter- oh dear...

That would have been my first choice! But somehow, I doubt many people have access to a plotter. You could go to a sign shop and let them do it for you, but I doubt it would be cost effective... Gliders, the plotter would be able to cut out individual scales, but in a pattern-on backing paper, and you'd just apply them as a single sticker. That introduces other problems, like finding the right media to cut the scales out of, and developing the correct pattern.

Edited by StriperCandy

2 hours ago, gliders said:

Does die cutting or plotting just give individual cut shapes ?,in other words do you end up with scale shape stickers that you apply individually ? If so then I'm not convinced thats how the lee lure above is done,and definitely not how salmos are done. Having said that ,I now want a plotter cutter- oh dear...

You end up with individual ones but you don't apply it individually.  You cut the pattern,  take out the negative spaces,  apply a transfer paper to pull out all the scales into one sheet like i posted and apply it all at once. Very easy to do with great results that painting cannot do. Here's one i did with glow vinyl. 

IMG_20170228_202141.jpg

Edited by gekhang

Awesome. Gonna try both ways I think. That glow scale is nice!Printing on holo decal and the cut way. I did find this stuff in hobby lobby today. Looks like this would work. And there was a foil applicator machine and roll of holo foil next to it.  And that scale job of first pic is bubble pattern on photoshop.(pretty sure)So it is sent from computer. This machine is or making stickers so don't see why it wouldn't work. Ya think ? This one is sold at Joanns, Michaels ,hobby lobby http://www.michaels.com/cricut-explore-air-2-mint/D036142S.html?mkwid=sO14ft0um|pcrid|171518503656|pkw||pmt||pdv|m|prd|D036142S&cm_mmc=zadv_PLASearch-_-google-_-Cricut-_-Cricut+Explore+Air+2&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Cricut&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sO14ft0um|pcrid|171518503656|pkw||pmt||pdv|m|prd|D036142S

IMG_0775.PNG

Now  almost excited for glow scales as much as the holo lol. Gotta find glow vinyl now. Waiting for my paint in the mail yet should be her I'm cple days. Have to learn how to paint this week then should have a scale job hopefully by Next week