Tony6

Holographic fish scales

watched some youtube vids . I see what transfer tape is now dont need adhesive.

and the printer way shouldnt be that hard either cause a printer doesnt print white so could just make the scales white and print whatever color on the holopaper

3 hours ago, gekhang said:

it's adhesive backed so you just stick them on however you want to arrange it.

Can you just press them on all at once from the strip? 

I am thinking it would be great to program scale pattern as close as possible. Then press all the scales on at once, or at least a row at a time.

11 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Can you just press them on all at once from the strip? 

I am thinking it would be great to program scale pattern as close as possible. Then press all the scales on at once, or at least a row at a time.

all at once if you like or just press on the areas you want covered.  as for grouping, it'd hard to get them any closer and have it cut well.  that's why a manufacturer who's initials are LC overlaps theirs.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 9:59 PM, fshng2 said:

1.     Holoscale Foil

https://makewoodenlures.com/foiling-lures/

2.    WTP Lure Tape

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/s.nl/it.A/id.51114/.f

I would apply foil then cover with mesh to paint scales.

Some companies most likely use hot stamping then would have to paint scales on with mesh.  

Look up.  you tube holographic heat transfer tape on lures.

Hope this helps.

Love this thank you......

I still think that everyone is overthinking this.

Why not just use the holographic scale tapes that are made for lures.  You can get them by the roll on eBay, or you can buy smaller quantities from Barlow's Tackle.  I have even purchased small sheets from Cabelas once or twice, though they were extremely marked up in price.  

They have a few different styles/colors.  It is holographic scale shapes that are printed on a transparent and flexible film.  I have been using the stuff for years and it is very easy to work with and thin enough to hide the seems with a single layer of epoxy clear coat.  

I think using this stuff is alot cheaper than buying a vinyl plotter and alot quicker than using masking fluid.

The first picture that I posted seems to be the exact product that was used on the lures that the OP posted.

Here's a link:

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Lure-Tape-Die-CutbrHolographic-Dot-Pattern-P989.aspx

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

Grisly-that's a nice, simple solution. It'd probably work as an accent shape on the sides of a lure, but is it flexible enough to wrap it over the back, side to side-without wrinkles? A company called Papilio Papers sells a water slide decal paper to make your own water slide decals. That stuff is very thin, but I don't think I could wrap it evenly around compound curves.  Wish I could, it would save a lot of work!

Probably won't work as well over the rounded tops of the wider bodied lures like larger square-bills, due to the greater radius on that style of lure.  But on the lures pictured in the original post, it looks like the scales are mostly on the flatter surfaces.  The stuff is pretty forgiving though.  It stretches a pretty good amount and it is fairly easy to stretch it almost to the top center line on each side most baits using 2 pieces, one on each side of the lure.  I have done it successfully on lipless cranks and also some Sammy topwater baits.