PapaB

Questions about Epoxy

I'm new to this forum and new to lure painting.  I think I know the answer to my first question but I just want to be sure.  I use Devcon 2Ton epoxy and after applying it, it has been 2 days and it is still tacky.  Did I get the mixture wrong? My 2nd question: Is there a way to strip epoxy off of a plastic lure? 

Devcon says to measure in equal volumes.  The most accurate way to do that is to buy a set of epoxy syringes.  Dispensing equal sized pools works ok most of the time too, at least at room temperature.  You either did not measure it accurately or you did not mix it thoroughly enough.  Of the two, the most common is not mixing it enough.  I do mine with a strip cut from an old credit card and mix in a  jar cap covered with heavy duty foil.  Hardening takes place through a chemical reaction at the molecular level, so unless it is mixed thoroughly, the components can't react and harden.  I mix the devil out of mine until it turns white from the air bubbles in it, then mix in a FEW drops of denatured alcohol to slightly thin the mix and extend the brush time by a minute or two.  That helps expel the bubbles too.  Then I apply it with an artist's brush whose fine bristles pop any remaining bubbles as I brush it on.

there's no way to strip bad epoxy without mechanically removing the entire finish.  Just mix a new batch and apply it.  The new epoxy will cause the tacky epoxy to cure hard too.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 2

I mix by weight also. No measuring tools to cleanup, just pour directly from the bottle into the mixing cup.

If you read the labels I bet there will be a ratio for mixing.  The epoxy I'm using right now is "System Three"  and the ratio listed is 1 unit of resin to .44 units of hardener.  Just pour about 2/3s the amount of resin you think you will need into the mixing cup that has been tared on the scale.  Take the weight and multiply by the ratio .44  (in my case yours might be different).

Your number does not have to be exact, while the posted ratio in the goal its better to under shoot the hardener than to over shoot.  Yup, grossly too much hardener will make the surface tacky.

• Like 1