Vodkaman

Hunting Cranks - theory, design and build

Travis, I also looked at the Megabass S Crank video.  Yeah, it does display some hunting action but it also has a distinct S-shaped swim pattern that is not hunting related and only confuses the issue.  Not saying the S-shaped swimming would be a bad thing necessarily in open water - but that ain't hunting.  And showing the baits deflect off bottom rocks is not helpful to the discussion.  That said, I wouldn't mind owning one except for the Megabass prices.  Ihave some Ito Vision 110 jerkbaits, though, so you never know!

• Like 1

Ah! luremaking the thing that keeps some awake at night.All this is way over my head and ability but I thought I'd throw this out there.The government wanted a extremely maneuverable aircraft.Gruman designed a craft with the wings that were backwards (actually forward)It took a computer to make 1000 adjustments per second to make it fly straight.I'm not suggesting computerizing a lure it's the approach.Instead of trying to make a stable lure unstable;try stabilizing an unstable one.Kind of like the one that got away on  dave.Oh ya; I never heard any more about that aircraft either so that tell you something (easier said than done)

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 8:38 PM, Vodkaman said:

Clemmy - good post, thanks.

Calden - good questions;

1 - body style. Pretty standard, see pics below. The length is generally between 1.5" and 4" purely because of the mouth size of the local Bawal fish which looks like a piranha.

2 - lip shape. I generally work with flat-bottomed lips, purely because they are easier to trim and keep symmetry.

3 - trim length. 1mm trims are about right. When you find the start of the hunt transition; even less.

image 1 - My basic shape. I would make these 50 at a time on my duplicator machine.

image 2 - The last lure that I worked on; Bawal-12. This is a small body 40mm long.

I have also included a complete set of plans for bawal-12 including templates (see PDF files), also a video of the build.

Dave

tu lure.JPG

bawal 12.JPG

bawal lure 12_Sheet_1.pdf

bawal lure 12_Sheet_2.pdf

bawal lure 12_Sheet_3.pdf

bawal lure 12_Sheet_4.pdf

Dave, I just got to watch the video.

You should charge $$  for that.

That was the most complete "how to" on lure building I've ever seen.

Awesome.

Thank you!!!!!

• Like 2

I just came back from fishing with some baits that have erratic yaw movements. These have raised ballast in the body. These baits are also for fast retrieve and trolling. The tow eye is out 1/4" from the nose on the bill. The bill is a spade shape for these baits. The bill/lip is at 10° down from the X line. These baits are minnow shape and run at 12-15'. At this point I have got to thank BobP for his help on the next bait,

This bait has an extra long lip with the tow line is 3/8" from the nose. The ballast is forward to a point the tail is out of the water at rest and swims even more of a pitch down when it is in action. The bait is a 25-30' diver. This baits has such a fast tail wiggle that the braid line seems to hum. The location of the ballast is in the belly/normal location to the X line. The lip is a flat and wide face angled back to to the body. Tow eye is in the same location as the first. The lips are made from lexan. This bait has no hunting traits, just diving pitch and action.

This seems to prove in my opinion that ballast location to the X line is what creates hunting. However I have found something very interesting in the shape/pattern in the second part or tail area. I told Mark about this but I haven't had a chance to prove it or explain what I have notice in a bait. So many projects with not enough time.

Just my :twocents:, with no BS.

Dale

• Like 1