CNC Molds N Stuff

RCBS Pro Melt VS ______________

I've had an RCBS Pro Melt for a while now...

In the box on the bottom shelf of my mold rejects and failures recycling cart.  

Last week I was testing some tiny little jig molds, using my Lee Pot 10lb bottom pour put, and they just wouldn't pour.  Then I noticed the top of the lead was freezing over.  Gack!  I know from reading I should expect a failure sooner or later, but I was still frustrated.  I grabbed one of the cheap little Palmer Pots and all the molds I was testing filled just fine.   Admittedly the Palmer doesn't have  the hours on it the Lee Pot does.  Anyway, I don't really want to make the Palmer Pot my main pot.  It doesn't even hold enough lead for some of the molds I've made.  

Today I finally took the RCBS Pro Melt out of the box and set it up.   The instructions are ok, but they are hardly necessary.  The diagram is good enough.

I did the warm up cycle.  15 minutes on low, then turn up the temp to 650 and go.  While some scraps were melting in the Pro Melt I plugged in the Lee pot and took a torch to the top of the lead.  It was nearly full.  After a few minutes I poured 8 lbs or so out of the Lee Pot into the RCBS Pro Melt.  There was a pound or two in it before made the transfer, and after it still looked empty.  This thing holds a LOT of lead.  That's when I noticed something.  No more cutting up the standard five pound bars from Roto Metals.  I can just set one in the pot and it doesn't even have to hit the valve rod or lever handle.  Just go do some clean up and wait for it to melt down into the pot.  Did I say it holds a LOT of lead.  With around 15lbs of lead in the pot it still didn't look like it was close to full.  

The valve flows lead FAST too.  I was testing a prototype spinner bait mold and I turned down the adjuster three times and it was still to fast.  I might be able to fill some of those large cavity molds with it that I've only been able to pour with my big cast iron pouring pot in the past.  

The Pro Melt sits higher off of its base than either of the Lee bottom pour pots.  The 10lb or the 20lb.  Well over 4 inches of clearance.  As you can see from the picture there is almost (not quite) five inches under the spout.  Lots of room to get molds under the spout.  

The jury is out about the guide rod and the guide collars, but I'll give it a try.  Seeing that I am lined up in both directions when casting has always been and issue for me, so I can see the appeal.  

I wish I had gotten this thing out of the box a long time ago.  It puts the Lee Pot to shame.  Now don't get me wrong.  I used the Lee pot for about two years, and I've put a fair amount of lead thru it testing molds.  The Lee Pot is not "bad."  Its just not in the same class as the RCBS Pro Melt.  It doesn't even go to the same school.    If I could not afford the Pro Melt I'd buy a Lee Pot, but if I had the cash I'd buy the RCBS Pro Melt first.  

I don't do production level pouring, but I pour a fair amount of lead.  I poured a few pounds today testing.  I'm working on some weighted swimbait hook ideas so I'll probably pour a few more pounds tomorrow.  A lead pot gets some use in my shop.  So... ask me if I still like my RCBS Pro Melt after its seen two years use in the shop.  That's the true test.  

5903eba40e837_RCBSProMelt.thumb.jpg.b77fbfa8a4cf150fb6c77964e5cd3901.jpg

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

I've had an RCBS Pro Melt for a while now...

Today I finally took the RCBS Pro Melt out of the box and set it up.

That's great Bob..... a bad day turned into a fun one.

For me I'd be like a kid in a candy store.

• Like 1

I have my RCBS over a year now, I took advantage of the $75 rebate RCBS was offering . What made it better was the fact the unit was on sale at Midway and with the shipping my final cost after the rebate was like $265, the best money I ever spent in this hobby.  BTW, I'd love to see the prototype spinnerbait mold if it is yours and not for a customer, spinnerbaits are my favorite lure and I love seeing different head designs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smalljaw said:

I have my RCBS over a year now, I took advantage of the $75 rebate RCBS was offering . What made it better was the fact the unit was on sale at Midway and with the shipping my final cost after the rebate was like $265, the best money I ever spent in this hobby.  BTW, I'd love to see the prototype spinnerbait mold if it is yours and not for a customer, spinnerbaits are my favorite lure and I love seeing different head designs.

I'll post a picture or two in the gallery later today.  Don't have any pics here in the house, but I'll be wandering out to the shop later.  I actually considered the mold to be a failure, although the head is a success.   I made a couple layout and design choices that are affecting its ability to pour consistently.  Even when using talc it doesn't have a high enough success rate in my opinion.  No its not proprietary.  This one is for ME personally.  I wanted a mold for a bait like this for a long time.  I finally got around to making one.  Probably remake it in the next few weeks. 

9 hours ago, BLT said:

I'll bet my RCBS is over 16 years old. Pours 1000's  of jigs a year, and 4-5000 sinkers.  Still going strong, and when it hits melting pot Heaven, I will shell out the $$$$ for another.

It's like a Timex watch!

Good to know.

7 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Thanks for info,  good to know they run specials.

Do you know anything about the Lyman Mag 25 Digital Melting Furnace?

What Lyman pot? 

I have a Lyman dipping pot, and its just not that convenient.  

~~~ Ah, I see ~~~

I didn't know there was a comparable Lyman product.  The Mag 25 must be the Lyman what you are considering.  

Further checking shows the RCBS Pro Melt as discontinued on the Midway website.  If you check the RCBS website they show a new model with kinda high in the market suggested retail price.  Pro Melt 2 with a PID controller.  I stopped over at the CastBoolits website and it seems they haven't actually seen one yet over there.  

I guess we will just have to wait until somebody actually has one to sell before we know.  

• Like 1

I haven't looked at prices of the RCBS for a couple years. Looking at the prices now, I'm not to sure of spending over $400 on one. Would want to know more about that Lyman. First question would be does fishing molds fit under the spout? Looks pretty low, like it was geared towards the bullet molds more.

On further review, I have found several sites selling the newer pro melt 2 for under $300.

Edited by BLT
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2017 at 2:13 PM, BLT said:

I haven't looked at prices of the RCBS for a couple years. Looking at the prices now, I'm not to sure of spending over $400 on one. Would want to know more about that Lyman. First question would be does fishing molds fit under the spout? Looks pretty low, like it was geared towards the bullet molds more.

On further review, I have found several sites selling the newer pro melt 2 for under $300.

The old Pro-Melt is history.  The new ones should be out around the end of July.

22 hours ago, LimpNoodle said:

The old Pro-Melt is history.  The new ones should be out around the end of July.

I saw sites already putting the price on the new ones. There are still the older ones floating around to buy, but it seems that really jacked the prices up. I Googles it and found them.

16 hours ago, ute said:

I'm wondering about the clearance on the new ones. Looks like less in the pictures that I saw.

It will probably have an adjustable mold rest or guide and have similar clearance. The 2 biggest changes I saw besides the new design are the PID controller and the 25lb capacity over the 22lb the old style uses and they have a pot cover. They also have a new pot for ladle pouring that features the same PID control and capacity, the price listed for the bottom pour is currently listed as anywhere from $315 to $350, and the ladle pour is listed at $150 to $175.