Ezcorer

3D printed soft bait molds

howdy yall!

I was talking with a guy I work with about a mold I cut on my CNC mill at work.

The mold was a tail for a cast swim bait, it turned out great! so I was wondering why not just print on my 3D printer!

I did a few quick designs and printed them out.

It works GREAT!! you can go from design to water in a day!

I have attached a few pics, the aluminum tail mold and then one of a jig body (black mold) and the other (white mold) is a tail i am going to use on a crank bait I'm making.

Let me know what yall think!

20170328_202049.jpg

20170428_223905.jpg

20170428_224004.jpg

We're working with a guy that does 3D printing for prototype purposes only, then does the cnc machining. He can print a 3D model of the actual bait to see what it will look like, 3D print a prototype mold for injection tests, & then cut our production molds with a cnc. One of our new baits we are coming out is currently going through this process.

3d printed molds have a shelf life, Unlike cnc aluminum molds. 

I myself thought about printing prototypes, for the time and even the cost I can just knock one out in aluminum and be done with it, Makes it easier for me to go to a 60 or 80 cavity  production mold if I got all the feeds, speeds, toolpaths worked out anyhow.

They have there place I guess. Just not for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

I think 3D prototyping is the way of the future.  It has come very far very fast, but the cost is prohibitive for most of us small guys.  If you already have access to it, then  it can be a great time saver.:yes:

Just 10 years ago they were called RAPID PROTOTYPING machines. now they are 3D printers. the cost of the machines has come down so has the cost of the parts that are made.

The other thing driving price is what you want your prototype made out of.

some of the machines I run at work cost $120,000 so yes the parts I makes are pricey but it is dimensionally acute. 

If you like to tinker you can get a printer for under $300 and the work fantastic.

look around most libraries have printers now.

if you can find one and need something PM me

I'll get you what you need. 

• Like 1

What I do; is make a 3D print of a master mold. I then pour silicone into the master to make a working mold. Also, by designing the master so that the mold is symmetrical, I only need one 3D master because of the symmetry. I pour 6 x silicone pieces to make 3 working 2-piece molds. This way, if I wanted to increase production, I simply pour more silicone.

My problem is that the only silicone that I have sourced locally, is way too soft for my purpose, and cures too fast. I tried pouring a hard material, Bondo filler style, but the 3D print mating face was not accurate enough resulting in a warped, leaky working mold. Silicone takes care of this problem, if I could find something slower and harder, but the idea works.

Dave

21 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

What I do; is make a 3D print of a master mold. I then pour silicone into the master to make a working mold. Also, by designing the master so that the mold is symmetrical, I only need one 3D master because of the symmetry. I pour 6 x silicone pieces to make 3 working 2-piece molds. This way, if I wanted to increase production, I simply pour more silicone.

My problem is that the only silicone that I have sourced locally, is way too soft for my purpose, and cures too fast. I tried pouring a hard material, Bondo filler style, but the 3D print mating face was not accurate enough resulting in a warped, leaky working mold. Silicone takes care of this problem, if I could find something slower and harder, but the idea works.

Dave

Dave,

Have you tried 100% silicone caulking?

It cures more slowly.  I usually put a thin coating of the caulking onto my masters with my finger to be sure it's in every detail.  I spray that caulking with a mist of water,  and then mix the rest with a drop of water to accelerate it when I fill the rest of the mold box, being careful not to hit the master.  

I still wait 48 hours to open the mold, even though the outer/water mixed part is set, because the pure silicone around the master cures more slowly.

Mark - that is a good idea, though I suspect that the material will still be too soft.

The lure in question (hardbait) is hollow bodied with thin walls. What tends to happen is that the silicone compresses and I lose the wall thickness. I should have allowed for the compression in the design of the mold, but to re-do the design and 3D print would be another $120 for a lure that I am not sure will even perform.

the lure is a totally original concept, a bit like a softbait paddletail. It should swim in a zigzag fashion with the hinged tail waggling like crazy. The softbait version has been prototyped and swims as stated above.

Dave

The stuff Mark is talking about is also called OOGOO (you can Google that) but it uses corn starch instead of water. works the same but sets up in about 15 minutes and is the consistency of creamy peanut butter. 

make small batches it sticks to its self great and you can get aubergine detail with the stuff.

wylder

$120! that seems extreme to me.

what kind of printer was it done on?

are you filling the mold with resin then dumping it out so you have a hollow body?

I'm not sure I understand when you said the silicone compresses and you loose wall thickness.

would making the walls of your mold help with that?

Wylder - I will check out what is available locally. Importing is out of the question.

The printer is not mine. I have to subcon the work out to a business. I really need my own printer but again, limited to what is available locally.

When the mold is lightly clamped, just enough to get a seal, I lose the wall thickness.

Yes, the bait is designed for polyester resin. I cannot find micro-balloons and so I have to adapt.

Dave

Wylder - I have looked for corn starch before and was unable to locate any. Tapioca powder might work for me if it is a reaction thing. Is the corn starch part of the reaction or just used as a filler?

I guess that I have some experimenting to do; mix with water, white spirit, also I should have alcohol available in a couple of weeks, as I am building a still.

Dave

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, Ezcorer said:

Just 10 years ago they were called RAPID PROTOTYPING machines. now they are 3D printers. the cost of the machines has come down so has the cost of the parts that are made.

The other thing driving price is what you want your prototype made out of.

some of the machines I run at work cost $120,000 so yes the parts I makes are pricey but it is dimensionally acute. 

If you like to tinker you can get a printer for under $300 and the work fantastic.

look around most libraries have printers now.

if you can find one and need something PM me

I'll get you what you need. 

Great offer, but the real cost is the CAD program to draw the design in and then code it into the printer.  I found an inexpensive 3D printer locally that would have been great, but few of us have CAD experience or a suitable CAD program.

I have extensive CAD experience, but still cannot afford my own program for the limited amount I would use the printer for.

c

17 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

Great offer, but the real cost is the CAD program to draw the design in and then code it into the printer.  I found an inexpensive 3D printer locally that would have been great, but few of us have CAD experience or a suitable CAD program.

I have extensive CAD experience, but still cannot afford my own program for the limited amount I would use the printer for.

check out fusion 360 or  design spark mechanical, both are available for free (not just a trial download) and real close to solidworks functionality. 

wylder

28 minutes ago, Ezcorer said:

c

check out fusion 360 or  design spark mechanical, both are available for free (not just a trial download) and real close to solidworks functionality. 

wylder

TinkerCAD is another open source option. We've just started using it, but so far it's been very user-friendly.

2 minutes ago, Good Fishing said:

TinkerCAD is another open source option. We've just started using it, but so far it's been very user-friendly.

Yes! TinkerCAD is great too. it looks like a kids program but it is very powerful.  one of the only free programs that you can actually import and modify .STL's.

wylder

6 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

Looks like fusion 360 IS a 30 day trial, but the others look promising.  Funny, the fusion, by Autodesk, is closest to what I already know, so of course it is only a trial.  LOL

I downloaded it ladt year and as long as I didn't make $10,000 a year (I wish) with it it was free.....

they changed that I guess....