Hey folks,

I have been scouring the internet trying to find a way to decently dye the tails of my paddle tails. My main concern is not being able to effectively dye dark colored lures and make them have a nice chartreuse paddle tail. I have tried Spike It which works very nicely for light colored lures. I have also tried K. Wigglers, which does indeed dye dark lures chartreuse, as they use some sort of silicone rubber, but I get terrible bubbles trapped in the dye, and the lure just looks bad. 

Had anyone had success with other ways of dyeing their tails? Spike It has that spray paint stuff, but they don't make it in a bright chartreuse color. Would airbrushing be the way to go? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Taylor

Read the above post and check out the attached picture. You need to use paint and not a dye. Spike-it/LureWorks has a variety of solvent based paints that will work (Worm Paint, SB Coat, and VPI). Just remember laying down some white as a base coat first then coming over with your final color will make the color bright and give it the pop your looking for on dark colored baits. You would want to dip tail colors as it is much easier and faster than trying to airbrush.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:48 AM, McLuvin175 said:

Read the above post and check out the attached picture. You need to use paint and not a dye. Spike-it/LureWorks has a variety of solvent based paints that will work (Worm Paint, SB Coat, and VPI). Just remember laying down some white as a base coat first then coming over with your final color will make the color bright and give it the pop your looking for on dark colored baits. You would want to dip tail colors as it is much easier and faster than trying to airbrush.

Just bought some Spike It Lure Paint, and gave your suggestion a go. Looks fine on light lures, but for some reason, the dark colors look really splotchy. I think the slightest amount of oil on the lure ruins the effectiveness of the paint. Have you run into this problem? Your lures in the picture you send look flawless. Mine did not turn our anywhere close to that.

Any paint is only as good as he surface it is applied to. An oily surface will rain havoc on any coating applied over it as it actually acts as a barrier between the paint and the substrate.  As you call splotchy I would call fish eye and this is most likely due to surface oil on the bait. 

Wipe away excess oil. Wash with a good strong dish detergent, rinse then dry. Or wipe clean with a solvent like Acetone. Then try dipping again. I think that should help with your issue.

• Like 1