fishon-son

lead weight hook hangers

From reading this I gather that you want the entire bait to weigh 1/2 oz.  So you have to make up the body of the lure and weigh that along with the hook hangers, hooks, and all split rings. Then see what kind of weight that you have left to play with. What I mean is, if your body and all of your parts come up to 1/4 oz, then you have 1/4 oz. left to play with for the ballast weight of your bait. No knowing what you are making is kind of tough. Some baits, such as jerkbaits, can have more than one weight. 

Personally, I would make the bait and get it to work properly, and then worry about the overall weight of the bait.

Skeeter

• Like 1

I typically do what Skeeter suggests, using a scale and subtraction of component weights to get the ballast needed to hit a target weight.  That works well when copying a commercial wood lipped crankbait, most of which use single unit belly ballast/hangers.  But if you are building a lipless bait from a plastic rattle bait original, the method is pretty useless because weight shifting castability and sound are lost, and the same goes for any bait that uses shifting weight to promote long casts and noise.  Some plastic baits just don’t copy well in wood.