1Big3Little

Owner 5313 (90 Degree) Equivalent for Midwest Finesse Mold?

I really like substituting the Eagle Claw Laser Sharp Black Platinum hooks as well as Mustad in certain molds to save some coin without a lot of performance drop off.  That said, I bite the bullet and buy the 5313 Owners, there isn't any substitute for that hook that I've found is comparable. It is a 1X strong so it is a stout hook while still light enough to be used by light tackle anglers and so I know you don't want to hear it but you aren't going to find anything to replace that hook with. The only option is to go with a light wire hook or buy the Owner, other hooks that aren't light wire are either to heavy of the eye leg is too short or long, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I've used the Mustad 32833 hook in that mold but I forget off the top of my head what size of hook fits in which size of head.  Which size of hook do you want in what weight of head?  I could check to see if it fits when I get home tonight and let you know tomorrow.

That Mustad hook is a little heavier/thicker then the Owner but it is really sharp.  I too like the Eagle Claw black platinum hooks as well but they aren't as heavy.  But that isn't a concern for me when using 4 or 6 lb line with a Ned rig.  Just depends on how you want your setup.

Are you looking for hooks that fit or something similar to the Owner?  I'm asking because the hooks mentioned are all light wire and they will work. The lone exception is the Mustad 32833, it has to be specific hooks for specific cavities because the eye leg on that hook is much shorter than most other 90 degree hooks.  There are a lot of hooks that will work with that mold but the only hook that is a 1X strong with the larger bite that works in the Owner 5313, and while I try to keep cost to a minimum I can honestly say there isn't anything close to that hook that I found or even heard of for that mold.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, wallyc14 said:

I know for a

fact the small 604 will fit the mold

You may as well get the Owner 5313. The Gamakatsu 604 in the smaller size 1 and 1/0 are light wire hooks. They have the same diameter as the Mustad 32746 and then there is price. The Gamakatsu hooks are now more expensive than Owner so you are paying more for a lighter hook.