Rnd101

Envirotex lite 30 min epoxy mixing

21 minutes ago, bonepile said:

Taking all precautions now, what is THE best thing to use for wiping lures clean prior to clear-coating? I dont want to go through adding a second coat and risk it doing the same.

Someone here on TU gave me this tip years ago.

I use blue Nitril gloves to handle lures while I am painting.   No more fish eyes from finger oil.  

Bonepile, if you really have to handle lure, do what mark suggested. If you actually had oily hands when you handled your lures, then they may well have had it. If your paint is bone dry and preferably heat set, it is possible to clean very gently with luke warm water and a small amount of washing up liquid - literally a few very gentle wipes or you risk lifting paint. .glider 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 6:00 PM, bonepile said:

hmmm? what's the reason to not use a wood mixing stick? i'm the same, I use a flat, wooden stick to mix mine, has never been an issue. I

It may be a bigger deal if you are using E-Tex for a pour on surface or for art. That is what the maker of the product designed it for. So that is what the directions are for. A thick, poured on puddle is especially where you would see bubbles. So the directions are for the prevention of bubbles. If you brush it on to fishing lures, you pop most of them anyway. If you use a round stick, you can still achieve complete mixing by doing the counter rotating thing instead of scraping. It pulls all the edge product into the middle. As for mixing it for a full two minutes - I see no problem with mixing it a little longer, it has a pretty long pot life. 

• Like 1

image.png.c3ea46d5a311a53f7199ffd8709d727c.png

I use one of these little mixers for epoxy. Let her run for 5 minutes or so (depending which epoxy you use) and it comes out mixed perfect with no bubbles. It has a little chunk of steel that rolls around the sides and mixes everything great.

• Thanks 1

well, I just finished that batch, and they now look great. rather than attempting to "clean" them, I gave them a coat of my aerosol clear, U-POL Clear 1. it has stuck to everything I have tried it on, so I knew it would cover any possible contaminates that may have been the problem. just gave the batch a second coat this morning, and they are looking very fine right now.

i'm still not positive on what was the issue to begin with, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't due to mixing. the e-tex hardened as it should have, and that would have been affected, I would think, by poor mixture. I still haven't tried to test the e-tex over that varnish again, i'll do that to rule that out. 

• Like 1