drdmh

Spraying KBS

I've made the switch to KBS last fall and production time really has increased for me.  I'm getting the the point where I'd consider myself a high-volume painter and every step counts when trying to get baits to customers, especially the ones that wait til the last minute to order.  Although KBS cures quickly and is virtually dummy-proof, I can still see where some steps can me eliminated that are causing time delays.  For instance, I have to clean the hook hangers after each coat so it doesn't build up enough to peel paint.  I think spraying kbs would help eliminate that and speed up my production.  So my question is, who is spraying KBS and what are you using for a ratio?  I figure I'll just get an small volume HVLP detail airbrush and get things started.  Any help would be appreciated. 

If you are planning on spraying a clear, I would suggest doing a 2 part lacquer base over the KBS. Almost instant dry vs the wait time on the KBS. Make sure you have sufficient fire proof vent system set up and a VOC compliant respirator for yourself. Atomizing particles in the wrong place can be extremely dangerous. 

I'm already using a respirator when dipping lures and spoons.  I would shoot this in the detached garage with plenty of cross ventilation.  Since I'm already using kbs as the final top coat, why the two part urethane?

And thanks in advance, DingerBaits

I was just suggesting if you were looking at speeding up drying times not spraying it in addition to it. Spray a quick flash coat, let dry 2-5 mins, then re-coat. dries pretty quick. I think KBS takes a little while longer to dry when sprayed but i have not done that. I am old school, just dip and hang.

3 minutes ago, DingerBaits said:

I was just suggesting if you were looking at speeding up drying times not spraying it in addition to it. Spray a quick flash coat, let dry 2-5 mins, then re-coat. dries pretty quick. I think KBS takes a little while longer to dry when sprayed but i have not done that. I am old school, just dip and hang.

I hear ya.  I've looked at the two part urethanes as well.  KBS is a little more spendy per volume but I figured I could just keep it to one type of topcoat.  I appreciate the insight.