buzzbait4me

Replacement hook Arky jig

I recently got into pouring my own Do It Arky style jigs with the recommended mustad  32798 hooks and they seem a little too light wire for fishing any cover with braided line. Can anyone recommend a replacement  heavier wire hook  that will fit in the mold? Or am I just overthinking things and the 32798 will be fine and not bend out. 

Thanks!

The hook is fine for fishing around rocks, light brush and docks with say 30lb braid and a 12# to 14# leader. If you want to go with a heavier hook you'll need to go with the 32796 but the mold will need to be modified but it isn't a hard modification.  For heavier applications I use the Trokar Arky head and the Brush jig because those jigs use a heavy wire hook. The mold you have is good but that jig is more suited to moderate cover with a straight 12# to 14# mono or fluorocarbon, heavy braid needs the heavier hook if you are using heavy power rods. As I said before, the modification isn't hard to do but it needs to be done to move up to the heavier hook.

38 minutes ago, buzzbait4me said:

I recently got into pouring my own Do It Arky style jigs with the recommended mustad  32798 hooks and they seem a little too light wire for fishing any cover with braided line. Can anyone recommend a replacement  heavier wire hook  that will fit in the mold? Or am I just overthinking things and the 32798 will be fine and not bend out. 

Thanks!

I use that jig with the 32798 hook and I have no issues with it. I do however go down one hook size for my jigs, just personal preference.  The 32798 is a flat eye hook and although not the strongest, it will hold fish without bending out. However, I don't fish like you do and don't know your fishing style. You can also spot drill that mold for a regular style hook which is more robust like a 32786, but you will have to do some mold mods. There are also heavier flat eye hooks, but that requires mold modifications as well. If you are good with your hands and want to attempt it go for it.  This will give you peace of mind with a heavier hook.

11 minutes ago, cadman said:

I use that jig with the 32798 hook and I have no issues with it. I do however go down one hook size for my jigs, just personal preference.  The 32798 is a flat eye hook and although not the strongest, it will hold fish without bending out. However, I don't fish like you do and don't know your fishing style. You can also spot drill that mold for a regular style hook which is more robust like a 32786, but you will have to do some mold mods. There are also heavier flat eye hooks, but that requires mold modifications as well. If you are good with your hands and want to attempt it go for it.  This will give you peace of mind with a heavier hook.

I modified a friend's Do-It Arkie jig mold to take the 32786 hook, and it is easy.  That is a stout hook that won't bend out.  I fish it with either 20lb. fluoro, or straight braid.

4 hours ago, buzzbait4me said:

Awesome! Thanks guys for the quick replies. I don’t fish extremely heavy cover so I think I will be fine with 30 pound braid to a light leader. I will definitely look into that Trokar mold for heavier applications

One other thing and that is if you don't want to use Trokar hooks in the Trokar mold you can use other heavier hooks.  Lot of options for you.

Just an FYI, I have the same mold and recently modified it to take the 32796 hook. It wasn't too difficult or I just got lucky. I just used my dremel and went through a couple burr type bits. My advice is to take it slow and steady. Check for fit often. You don't want to take too much material around the hook eye or you'll end up with lead seeping into the hook eye and that will just piss you off.

Edited by FrogAddict

If you are getting flashing at the hook eye, either a dab of plumbers putty or a more permanent fix is red high temp RTV sealant.  If I have a mold that takes heavy hooks, I can use a light wire hook by filling the eye or the shank slot so lead leakage is fixed.  Or a mold modification mistake.

Hey guys, I am new to the group. Does anyone know of a hook that will replace the TK800 in the Do it Arky style Trokar mold without modification? I was thinking the 32786 might work but would like input before buying a bunch and trying them. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Rookie Jig
  • Like 1