Rusty85

Blending powder paints question

Hey there,

I've a got a new guy question for y'all. I'm thinking of starting to tie and paint my own jigs, and I'm looking to do some off the wall colours. For example I'd like to do a bubble gum pink chatter bait. But the only pink powder I'm seeing is hot pink. Can I blend white powder into it to tone it down or will that just result in a mottled mess?

Edited by Rusty85

Powder paint doesn't work that way.  You'll most likely end up with a mottled mess.  Or I have seen it where you get very small pixels of each color.

Your chances are better of both powders use the same chemistry.

Check out Prismatic.  They have lots of pink powders.

• Like 1

I got two pinks. Both I make by mixing red and white powder paint. One was 50/50 red and white. Came out dark pink. The other was like 1 part red to 5 parts white. Came out much lighter pink. Sometimes when mixing  two or more paints you can get dots of the colors. To me it adds a little something to the color.

5 hours ago, LimpNoodle said:

You can make white?

Nope.  The CMYK color chart that applies to paints (subtractive) does not allow for that??  But, using Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-black, or their close look alikes, you sure can get a bunch of them.  LOL

http://www.color-chart.org/cmyk-color-chart.php

6 hours ago, Jig Man said:

you can make most anything

On 3/25/2018 at 12:28 AM, Anglinarcher said:

Nope.  The CMYK color chart that applies to paints (subtractive) does not allow for that??  But, using Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-black, or their close look alikes, you sure can get a bunch of them.  LOL

http://www.color-chart.org/cmyk-color-chart.php

You sound like a printer lol. I am, so I have hear all about this for over 30 years.

ive been mixing up quite a few different colors and it's not the easiest thing in the world to do since you can't see exactly what color you are working with until you dip something, but it does work.  Some are definitely easier than others but i think the easiest route is to just buy the color you are looking for if it's available.  If not, then get to mixing.