SlowFISH

What Brand of Hi-Heat paint to coat molds

Hey guys....

I have  a resin mold I tried to coat in Hi-Temp paint (Duplicolor High Heat Ceramic) to give a nice smooth finish.... first shot and this stuff reacted with the plastisol and melted... basically locking the mold shut - after i pry'd it open - half of it was on/in the bait- the rest bubbling, tacky and could be wiped off the mold.

So - for anyone who has used high-temp paint in a mold and had good result - what brand/color did you buy... figured I ask before I go through the trial and error to find one that works...

And not looking for alternatives like Epoxy/Elmers etc.... looking for a aerosol spray paint so I can coat all the small area I have with light coats and not gum it up brushing some thing in the mold.

Thanks!

J.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:12 PM, bryanmc said:

Hight temp engine paint is what everyone uses.  It is designed to be sprayed on metal, not resin so there must be some sort of solvent in it that reacted with the resin.

It's not the mold resin....  it coated the molds just fine, was smooth and had decent hardness to it - plus this stuff is engineer to be painted... it's used in the prototyping industry for models/forms/etc.... but once the plastisol was shot in the cavity  all hell broken loose... and on the faces of the mold that were not in contact with the plastisol - there is no damage issue... just where the hot plastic went in... that's why I'm asking what brand/type.... cause the stuff  I used (Duplicolor High Temp Cermaic) doesn't play well with baits!! LOL!!

J.

Edited by SlowFISH

11 hours ago, SlowFISH said:

It's not the mold resin....  it coated the molds just fine, was smooth and had decent hardness to it - plus this stuff is engineer to be painted... it's used in the prototyping industry for models/forms/etc.... but once the plastisol was shot in the cavity  all hell broken loose... and on the faces of the mold that were not in contact with the plastisol - there is no damage issue... just where the hot plastic went in... that's why I'm asking what brand/type.... cause the stuff  I used (Duplicolor High Temp Cermaic) doesn't play well with baits!! LOL!!

J.

Sorry, I misunderstood which part stuck.  The part about everyone using high temp engine paint (never saw anyone say they used ceramic) still applies.  Do a search on painting molds and you should get the specific brands.

11 hours ago, Yo Al said:

I wish I could offer more help, but my do-it essential series molds are painted with Duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic. It works great on them. I used Ford gray and use M-F plastic.

Great.... now I'll assume it's something I did!!! LOL!!

1 hour ago, McLuvin175 said:

How long did you let the paint cure before you shot your first bait?

I sprayed multiple coats..... the last coat went on 24 hours before I used the mold.... it's possible it didn't cure fully as it's been a little cooler and damp here... but it melted off everything - all layers back down to the mold itself.

I did some searches and seems like Rustoleum Engine paint is one of the options that works.... I'll pick up a can this weekend and see how it goes.

J.