Ray Ray's DW

Need help with my 6in senko

2 hours ago, Ray Ray's DW said:

Hello, I'm new to pouring soft baits and was looking for some help on fall rate. I have all the necessary stuff to make a good fall rate, just curious if anyone could shed some light on the subject of adding salts and how fast a senko should sink. Tight lines!!!!

I think this is such a great question. To a newbie like myself, I sit here thinking that the way I rig my bass tubes the amount of salt shouldn't matter because the bait will fail with the weight of the jighead and not the density of the tube. Anyone else able to elaborate?

2 minutes ago, Bronzeback Cowboy said:

I think this is such a great question. To a newbie like myself, I sit here thinking that the way I rig my bass tubes the amount of salt shouldn't matter because the bait will fail with the weight of the jighead and not the density of the tube. Anyone else able to elaborate?

This is exactly where I'm at. I've ran tests on my baits and they have produced fish. I get a bait down 6ft in about 20 seconds. Idk if that's a good fall rate? 

The recipe I suggested should be similar in density to a genuine Senko.  Add the salt to cold plastic and stir well. If using medium plastic you will need at least a tablespoon of softener per 4oz. With this much salt your colors will look off and cloudy. Should fall about 2 foot per second. 

On 2018-05-24 at 3:09 PM, MonteSS said:

The recipe I suggested should be similar in density to a genuine Senko.  Add the salt to cold plastic and stir well. If using medium plastic you will need at least a tablespoon of softener per 4oz. With this much salt your colors will look off and cloudy. Should fall about 2 foot per second. 

2 foot per second???

Or is it

2 Seconds per foot?

On 5/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, Bronzeback Cowboy said:

This is exactly where I'm at. I've ran tests on my baits and they have produced fish. I get a bait down 6ft in about 20 seconds. Idk if that's a good fall rate? 

that's a very slow fall rate.. very slow,,

but , the fall rate depends on the fish that day ..

make baits with different fall rates to cover all situations ,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D-wayne said:

2 foot per second???

Or is it

2 Seconds per foot?

Ya meant 2 secods per foot.

As Bass Boys said, vary the sink for different conditions. Spring when fish are very shallow you may go a little less sink additive. I prefer the faster sink. People tend to fish too fast (including myself). I think that's why real Senkos work so well. They are heavier than most KO's  and get down better to the fish.

Edited by MonteSS

The HD additive is great and makes the baits more durable. However it is a grey paste that will cloud the color even more than salt.

Glass beads is best way to get more translucent sinking baits that show color and flake well. Downside is it will scratch your injector.

DSCN3474.JPG

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1