normans

pouring pot

Just a word of caution, the new RCBS pot is a pain in the a$$. It is about 1.5 inches lower than the old pot and most of my custom  molds do not fit under it and must be poured by ladle. If you try to use the mold holder it really doesn't work because of the u shape design. Any mold that has the hook protruding thru the bottom of the mold is very difficult to pour.  THIS POUR POT IS BASICALLY  MADE FOR THE BULLET MAKER AND NOT VERY GOOD FOR JIG POURING. Just my 2 cents. LOVE THE OLD STYLE

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, m.t.pockets said:

Just a word of caution, the new RCBS pot is a pain in the a$$. It is about 1.5 inches lower than the old pot and most of my custom  molds do not fit under it and must be poured by ladle. If you try to use the mold holder it really doesn't work because of the u shape design. Any mold that has the hook protruding thru the bottom of the mold is very difficult to pour.  THIS POUR POT IS BASICALLY  MADE FOR THE BULLET MAKER AND NOT VERY GOOD FOR JIG POURING. Just my 2 cents. LOVE THE OLD STYLE

I didn't think of that as I have the older one. Will normal Do-It molds fit under the new pot? Also if I am correct, is the new one digital? If so how do you like it, and how well does it pour?

Edited by cadman

pours great. It is good to pour sinkers and any mold that doesn't  have a hook or wire coming out somewhere on the mold.  The mold holder limits this. I use it with out the mold rest. PITA. Most do-it molds will work unless you are pouring heavy jigs with large hooks. The digital function is great and keeps the temp very well. This unit also does not have a shut off switch and must be unplugged  when you are thru for the day.

Can't wait to get my old unit repaired .

14 hours ago, m.t.pockets said:

pours great. It is good to pour sinkers and any mold that doesn't  have a hook or wire coming out somewhere on the mold.  The mold holder limits this. I use it with out the mold rest. PITA. Most do-it molds will work unless you are pouring heavy jigs with large hooks. The digital function is great and keeps the temp very well. This unit also does not have a shut off switch and must be unplugged  when you are thru for the day.

Thanks for the in-depth review:yay::yay::yay:

14 hours ago, m.t.pockets said:

Try switching your outlet with a 20 amp switch on the hot leg, so it is easier to turn on and off.

17 hours ago, m.t.pockets said:

You're supposed to turn it to 0 and let it cool before unplugging it.

23 minutes ago, LimpNoodle said:

You're supposed to turn it to 0 and let it cool before unplugging it.

Yes it states that you must let it cool down to 160 degrees before unplugging it. This can take upwards of an hour or more. It comes assembled with the base plate attached. There as a nut attached to the leg under the base plate,  but you can not see how it is attached to the unit itself with out taking the whole thing apart. 

1 hour ago, m.t.pockets said:

Yes it states that you must let it cool down to 160 degrees before unplugging it. This can take upwards of an hour or more. It comes assembled with the base plate attached. There as a nut attached to the leg under the base plate,  but you can not see how it is attached to the unit itself with out taking the whole thing apart. 

That is a good thing that there is a nut under the base plate I can take some bar stock and thread the ends and make two extensions for the legs and get all the clearance I need. If I get one of the new style !  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, normans said:

That is a good thing that there is a nut under the base plate I can take some bar stock and thread the ends and make two extensions for the legs and get all the clearance I need. If I get one of the new style !  

Look for a coupling nut.  They are extra long.   We used them to extend anchor bolts when they were too close to the concrete.