Kris

Wanting to build spray booth ... fan size help?

Looking for info and insight from those who built their own spray booth.

Will be spraying acrylics only.   Booth will be around 20" (L) x 18" (H) x 16" (D) and looking to use an exhaust fan to pull the air through a filter to catch the overspray.  

Not sure about the fan size needed.  Interested to know what kind of fan you use in your booth.  I seen where people have used computer fans, bathroom exhaust fans, inline duct fans, etc.  I've read where the fan needs to pull at least 200 CFM.  

I use the small dust collection system from Harbor Freight. Has an attached collection bag, is explosion proof and moves 660cfm. used some ducting and mounted it under the table. Works great and you will be able to use solvent based paints if you wish. Not the cheapest solution, but it works great for me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Basseducer said:

I use the small dust collection system from Harbor Freight. Has an attached collection bag, is explosion proof and moves 660cfm. used some ducting and mounted it under the table. Works great and you will be able to use solvent based paints if you wish. Not the cheapest solution, but it works great for me.

Not a fan of HF tools. 

Edited by 21xdc

16 hours ago, 21xdc said:

I assume you use this type of fan?  Do you have pic of how you secured it to your booth?

Mine uses DC computer fans (water based paint only), I don't know the CFM but its a lot. Enough that if you turn them around it will blow your eyes shut. I just framed my booth out of 2x2  and use old cardboard to line it, that way I can toss it and put new on when it starts to build up with the heavy overspray that doesn't go airborn and get caught by the filter.  My first design had the filter at the top, and that did not catch it all.. I ended up getting color on my mask filters. Second design I moved it to the back and exhaust my air at my feet and that is catching and filtering it all but I find myself hitting it directly with overspray sometimes when I shoot at an angle. So I think I will redo it again, expand the back a bit and use a furnace filter design and put it at the angle like 21xdc had. I don't have the option to exhaust outside or I would do that for sure. 

23 hours ago, 21xdc said:

I bought an 8in and it's not needed.  I cut a hole in the top of this and sits down in it... Pics w/o fan... I recently upgraded to a $3,000.00 set up.  Pics on bottom. 

Builtsprayandpourbooth001.jpg

Builtsprayandpourbooth002.jpg

Builtsprayandpourbooth004.jpg

Builtsprayandpourbooth006.jpg

Builtsprayandpourbooth007.jpg

Builtsprayandpourbooth008.jpg

1537670451_zpsfj7evu9o.jpg

1537670474_zpsuikc0z5b.jpg

1537670506_zpsbhx3axq8.jpg

Thanks ! for posting the pics.  Do you think the filter placement  works best when at a angle or does it matter?

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Thanks ! for posting the pics.  Do you think the filter placement  works best when at a angle or does it matter?

I pour and airbrush both in these booths... The angle does both really well.  My new one has 10in duct and really pulls a lot of air, But it's size is much bigger...  Here it is w/o the $900 motor sold separately   https://www.abt.com/product/126349/Thermador-48-Professional-Series-Stainless-Steel-Wall-Hood-PH48HWS.html

Edited by 21xdc