bassmaster0726

Auto clear top coat

The best auto clears are all two part catalyzed finishes.  There are many choices but the only thing I can recommend is choose one with a high solids content.  Of course, all these auto clears contain isocyanates (“cyanate” = cyanide) which can cause serious health problems if inhaled so you need a dedicated spray booth with filtered exhaust plus you must wear a solvent rated breathing mask while spraying them.

if it were me, I’d just go the easy way and dip KBS.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BobP said:

The best auto clears are all two part catalyzed finishes.  There are many choices but the only thing I can recommend is choose one with a high solids content.  Of course, all these auto clears contain isocyanates (“cyanate” = cyanide) which can cause serious health problems if inhaled so you need a dedicated spray booth with filtered exhaust plus you must wear a solvent rated breathing mask while spraying them.

if it were me, I’d just go the easy way and dip KBS.

To piggy back on that.. you not only need a dedicated booth, you need a booth made for volatile sprays as most are flammable when spraying. You'll need to direct vent to outside, and you will need face protection when spraying. That stuff in the face is not a good thing. A full body tyvek suit would be best, just like painters wear. 

It is absolutely the way to go if you are doing large quantities (hundreds at a time), just a large investment and lots of requirements. 

• Like 1

KBS is just as nasty as any other 2 part clear. Big difference is very low traces if any of carcinogens so guess its not quite as nasty.

(see link below)

It will still wreck your lungs regardless. Its clearly the safest alternative . Even if your dipping you need good ventilation and breathing protection. 

Build yourself a spray booth with the appropriate ventilation.

Wear protective clothing and resporator

Build some racks for your lures

And clear coat with the clear of your choice.  (side note) I don't like KBS for production because it takes way to long to cure as do most moisture cure products.

Regards,

Blades

Not sure the link below will work. If not search KBS Diamond finish sds sheets.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1740/5569/files/SDS_KBS_DiamondFinish_1804.pdf?7151834087657074980

46 minutes ago, bassmaster0726 said:

So what clear/ method do you prefer say I were to be painting 100 or so cranks  a day?

Hanging racks and dipping KBS. You can dip 100 of them in just a few minutes, takes a couple seconds each. Think of how many thousand Rat L Traps get sold in the world? They are dipped by hand and hung to dry.  

33 minutes ago, bassmaster0726 said:

So what clear/ method do you prefer say I were to be painting 100 or so cranks  a day?

DCU Concept 2021 (Deltron Product) Click on the link scroll down to DCU 2021

https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Products/Automotive-Refinish/Deltron  

But there are several good ones and i'm sure there are plenty of people here with other brands they use.

Some dry quicker some dry longer. Some are only available in gallons and some in quarts.

I just like 2021 and have settled on it. It comes in quarts BTW.

If you decide on 2021 I would be glad to help you.

Regards,

Blades.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, bassmaster0726 said:

Do you spray the 2021? What it gunna run me? And also is it’s thinner/harder than KBS

Spray it.

$76.00 quart + Activator $48.00 + Reducer $31.00

Thinner? Depending on how much you reduce it.

Harder? I dont know as I have never tested the durometer.

I use KBS on my spinnerbaits wont use it on most crankbaits and jerkbaits I custom paint as it tends to ruin the action.

Regards,

Blades   

On 2/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, bladesandbaits said:

Spray it.

$76.00 quart + Activator $48.00 + Reducer $31.00

Thinner? Depending on how much you reduce it.

Harder? I dont know as I have never tested the durometer.

I use KBS on my spinnerbaits wont use it on most crankbaits and jerkbaits I custom paint as it tends to ruin the action.

Regards,

Blades   

How thick are you going with KBS to ruin the action of your baits?  Two coats is plenty unless you are fishing pike or muskies.  I use it on cranks for walleye fishing with no issues.

5 hours ago, JayBee said:

How thick are you going with KBS to ruin the action of your baits?  Two coats is plenty unless you are fishing pike or muskies.  I use it on cranks for walleye fishing with no issues.

One coat / issues I had were with Rogues- Pointer Minnows-Staysees and a few Crankbaits.

Fritts asked me to never put it on any of his lures again. 

Customers noticed it and so did I. Probably from hanging them and not turning them as hanging baits from the nose allows more clear to settle to the rear of the bait even with a drip wire regardless how thin it is.

Not saying it is an issue with all lures. No doubt it cures really hard . Works for others not for me.      

Edited by bladesandbaits
double words
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bladesandbaits said:

One coat / issues I had were with Rogues- Pointer Minnows-Staysees and a few Crankbaits.

Fritts asked me to never put it on any of his lures again. 

Customers noticed it and so did I. Probably from hanging them and not turning them as hanging baits from the nose allows more clear to settle to the rear of the bait even with a drip wire regardless how thin it is.

Not saying it is an issue with all lures. No doubt it cures really hard . Works for others not for me.      

Interesting, I'd never considered that.  I just don't paint many suspending lures I guess.  Mostly shad rap , flicker shad style baits, some lipless and musky baits but I use epoxy on the musky stuff.  Thanks for replying.   Also I was of the understanding that turning MCU wasn't a good idea as the finish could pool and wrinkle the paint.  Am I wrong about that?

7 minutes ago, JayBee said:

Interesting, I'd never considered that.  I just don't paint many suspending lures I guess.  Mostly shad rap , flicker shad style baits, some lipless and musky baits but I use epoxy on the musky stuff.  Thanks for replying.   Also I was of the understanding that turning MCU wasn't a good idea as the finish could pool and wrinkle the paint.  Am I wrong about that?

You are more than welcome. Seems we all have different results at times.It all depends on the application. I just dont think theres a one size fits all when it comes to clearcoats. I still use it on lipless/pop r types/redfins/wake baits and topwaters.    

I have never turned it JayBee. Sorry man maybe someone else can answer who has tried it. 

Regards,

Blades

Edited by bladesandbaits
add to reply