Tally

chatterbait gurus please chime in

First let me say this will be for my personal use and not for "sale".  After snooping thru the threads I still need help.  Looking for a mold 3/8 and 1/2 ounce that will take a Gamakatsu 5/0 hook (non flat eye).  I would like the mold to have recessed eyes.  Is there a mold out there or am I going to have to modify the mold.  I want to attach the blade directly to the eye and not use a split ring.  I am not trying to duplicate the Zman jack hammer but get it damn close.  Thanks in advance for chiming in

Tally

34 minutes ago, 21xdc said:

It's illegal to attach the blade to the hook, Even for personal use and not selling... Don't ask me how I know. :whistle:

Really??  the patent is that secure on attaching the blade to the hook?  Soooooo the guys I see on youtube are illegal?  

"Just for personal" use does not get you around patent infringement.  The patent covers direct connection between the hook and head.  I had a friend that owned a tackle company and he tried to get around it by using a piece of wire attached  to a spinnerbait hook molded into the head and then connected directly to the blade.  He got a C&D letter from Zman.

Edited by bryanmc

2 hours ago, Tally said:

First let me say this will be for my personal use and not for "sale".  After snooping thru the threads I still need help.  Looking for a mold 3/8 and 1/2 ounce that will take a Gamakatsu 5/0 hook (non flat eye).  I would like the mold to have recessed eyes.  Is there a mold out there or am I going to have to modify the mold.  I want to attach the blade directly to the eye and not use a split ring.  I am not trying to duplicate the Zman jack hammer but get it damn close.  Thanks in advance for chiming in

Tally

I suggest you try to open the eye on that hook before you commit to it.  I found that the Gamakatsu hooks are too hard to open, at least with an awl, and that the eye breaks.  Maybe you can twist it sideways without breaking it.

I found that the Mustad 32786 BLN hook is openable, in the 3/0 and 4/0 sizes, as long as I don't open it too far.

Of course, I do not make Chatterbait knockoffs.  "That would be wrong, children, very wrong indeed."

• Like 1

First of all like everyone mentioned, it is illegal to attach the blade to the hook eye. However there are still a lot of guys doing it. Doesn't make it right so do what you want. Another thing mentioned is hooks. Barlows used to sell hooks with open eye, however I believe that is no longer available. I have tried to open hook eyes and it's a 50/50 shot that it will work. Many times, the hook eye will break or weaken. The problem is that once you open the eye you have to close it, and this will weaken the eye further.

As far as a good jig for this, I would use a Snootie jig. It is thin and seems to wobble well. Just make sure your split rings are loose inside the hook eye. Go to then next hook size up if you need to.

2 minutes ago, 21xdc said:

I'd use 1 split ring and a turned eye hook. 

woohoo... that is why this site is good.  I had eliminated the flat eye from my thoughts because of direct connect.  Thanks!!!! I believe I am on the right track now without getting in trouble lol.  

These soft aluminum molds are easily modified with a hammer/Dremel tool/etc.. :D

You might want to wait until October when this new Manic Mullet comes out. I can see it making a good swim jig after the modifying for any hook and keeper to be added. 

You can use that Mustad straight eye hook. I first heat the eye to a cherry red for about 30 - 45 seconds, let it cool a bit and cast my jig (I was using a sparky jig),the using a drill press and a pin punch gradually open the eye as needed. Then it paint, tie, attach blade and close the eye and done. This reduced the broken eye significantly and i don't know of any that broke during use.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Or you can put a weed guard in them, and throw them up into the heavy stuff.

You loose and miss way too many fish with a weed guard on these baits...  The blade needs to fold down to open the hook gap. The weed guard holds the blade from doing so. 

Yes they have the patent on the 6 sided blades. 

Edited by 21xdc

You can find the information you’re looking for by doing a search.  Lots of threads out there about molds, modifying, opening hooks or using figure 8 links.  The poison tail has what you are looking for if you want to modify.  The aluminum molds can literally be modified with a hammer, I modify mine by starting with a hammer and refining with dremel.  You can’t buy the coffin style from any tackle or component supplier, you might want to try an auction site.....

The other route is the D and M swim jig, you can open the eye and attach a blade very easily, comes out looking a lot like their old piranha bladed jig.

Edited by rfdong