I am just a hobby pourer, so this is just how I do things, not necessarily the only or best way.

I shoot some PAM cooking spray into my injector after each shot.  That has kept the O rings in good shape for more than 5 years.  Knock on wood.

I shoot med fast, and hold pressure for a 5 to 10 count, depending on how thick the bait is.

Good venting lets me shoot faster, since there is no trapped air to get rid of, but each mold is different, so I vary how fast I shoot accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShakeItUpBaits said:

What do I have to do to my injector to keep it working well. Also when shooting should I shoot nice and smooth slow or a little faster?

just use common sense on the pressure, think of it like a can of soda ready to squirt out, if you give it a reason or chance to it will squirt out melted plastic and nothing on earth hurts worse if it gets on your skin and you cannot remove it until it finishes burning you and cools off.

short answer is when in doubt dont apply more pressure unless you have issues with deformed baits

a good safety precaution is a BBQ/cooking apron, might look or feel silly wearing it but the first time it stops hot plastic from getting on your shirt and/or through it you will be happy you had it on

i would venture to say the only time people get hot plastic squirting back out at you is because they are rushing and trying to force it into the molds too fast. if you think the molds are filling too slowly then enlarge the gate but dont try to force it in.

PS - im an amateur rookie as well just sharing things i have learned

Edited by keakar
  • Like 1

a shot of worm oil in the injector. pump it a couple times to lube orings. I heat my injector on a giddle. the heat will keep  the plastic from cooling too quick. i push plastic in at a slow steady speed and keep plastic under pressure for a count of ten. the amount of pressure depends on the type of clamping u use i use a bench mounted wood vise or viseclamp  pliers, the ones with pads on jaws that swivel. Cub48

• Like 1

All this is great info and tips one thing I make sure to do after I'm finished each day is to take the injector apart and give it a good cleaning inside and out. I use a baby bottle brush I stole from my wife's kitchen, with a tiny bit rubbing alcohol.  And this helps me clean out all the plastisol stuck to the walls left over inside the injector. than I lube up the inside of the injector and the O Rings on the plunger and tip. Then I put it back together and pump it a few times back and forth and its ready to go the next time I'm going to shoot baits. not sure if it anyone else does this but man it works great and keeps it clean and lubed up

Edited by Socal399