robbor

What kind of plastic

The commercial injected baits are all melted plastic injected under extreme pressure.  That is what ABS is and it works great, if you are a big commercial producer.

For home pour, Alumilite is the best option IMHO, but getting the exact ABS results is not going to happen with today's technology to the best of my knowledge.  I use Alumilite and find it works well, but variations to your design will results in some great options.

First, with ABS it is mostly hollow baits that are glued together.  While I do hollow baits with Alumilite White, I rotomold to get them.  I have not found a glue that secures Alumilite White to each other, but perhaps Alumilite can help with that.

• Like 1

Your cream, opaque colored baits are ABS but your clear ones are made of polycarbonate. If you have clear ABS then you actually have MABS and its impact characteristics drop considerably. The nicer baits are actually sonic welded together as it is easier than glue to control and will allow the bait to run truer out of the box.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, Anglinarcher said:

Good clarification.  If glue was not tough enough for the hobbyist, try sonic welding and try to get it sealed.  LOL

And thank you. I have been a plastics engineer for 20 years now. Working in injection molding. One of these years I will make my own blanks lol