fishordie79

Airbrush Issue - Iwata HP-CS

Hey TU Community,

I had an issue with my airbrush tonight that I have not had in the past and I was wondering if maybe someone could shed some light on what the problem may be. I use an Iwata HP-CS dual action brush and tonight when I would press the air release I would get a steady stream of paint coming out as if I were also pulling the needle back although I wasn't. I haven't had this issue before and I don't know what causes it. Can anyone provide any insight? 

• Like 1

I've also found that, once I remove the broken down air brush from the Restorer, pushing the needle through the brush blunt end first, before I put the nozzle back on, pushes an amazing amount of old paint crud out of the needle slot.

I did that with my first Iwata HP-C airbrush that I had stopped using because I thought it was just worn out.  Turns out I had just done a lousy job cleaning it.  Now I have two great brushes to use.

Cleaning your air brush well is right up there with thinning your paints properly as the key to successful painting.

@ravenlures @mark poulson

Thank you both for the advice! I thought I was keeping my airbrush clean as a whistle to this point. I always break it down completely and clean, to include all chambers (using pipe cleaners), as well as the needle and all other components. I hadn't experienced this issue before yesterday evening. The airbrush is about 4 months old and I have done maybe......8 lures with it up until this point. I use only Createx 5618 Airbrush cleaner as well. I have not used Restorer yet and to be honest with you both had not even heard of until now. Is that something I need to do between each use? 

You'll find it here:

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Restorer

I keep mine in a pickle jar.  It lasts forever, even when you can see old paint floating in it.  I sometime backflush with the restorer, and shoot the excess right back into the jar, if I think the brush isn't shooting right.

Every few months I break down my air brush and soak it overnight in the jar.  The next day I use the needle, blunt end first, to clean any old paint that might be still in the needle barrel, use my compressed air to blow through the brush to clear anything else that I can clear, then I reassemble the brush, putting a couple of drops of needle oil onto the needle before I reinstall it, and a drop in the bottom of the trigger before I reinstall the air hose fitting, so the oil blows up into the gun when I hit the air again.

Thinning your paint, and backflushing with clean water between colors, will go a long way towards keeping your brush functioning well.

• Like 1

One thing that I do while airbrushing I keep a ice cream bucket with a little dish soap in it and also hot water so when I am done with a color I just dip my brush in and out flushing it then back flush the then a little hot water from color to color, keeps mine clean and maybe every 2 months break down and give it a good cleaning that way when you are ready to paint its ready, no problems when I start to paint.

Also I only use quality paint.

Wayne

• Like 1

I recently had this problem with an Iwata airbrush that I had been using for two years with no troubles.  I ordered some new supplies on line and one thing that was included was a cleaning kit.  I ended up damaging my needle seat with one of the brushes supplies in my new cleaning kit, which caused the exact problem that  you are describing.   You mention in your post that you have been using pipe cleaners.  The wire in the pipe cleaner can cause the same issue. 

Hope you figured it out. - Steve

• Like 1

Just getting started! Obviously I am an amateur. I know I don’t have to start with the very best airbrush, I can work my way up. Has anyone ever used a Masters bran air brush? 
Also as an amputee, I sometimes have over use issues with my hand. Has anyone used a trigger style hairbrush?

12 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Just getting started! Obviously I am an amateur. I know I don’t have to start with the very best airbrush, I can work my way up. Has anyone ever used a Masters bran air brush? 
Also as an amputee, I sometimes have over use issues with my hand. Has anyone used a trigger style hairbrush?

Personally I use an Iwata nano and get by alright but I am no artist like some here. I started with a badger but can’t remember the model but I can tell you my work improved when I switched to the better quality Iwata nano

I am more of a builder than a painter and there is painters here far more skilled and knowledgeable then me

I would recommend starting a new thread so hopefully you get more responses directly focused on your questions. Also do a search the forum and you will find lots of info regarding airbrushes 

Good luck

2 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Thanks Hillbilly!  Clutch name btw. Ok I will start a new thread. This is all new to me. 

you say you are a builder - carve your own or mold your own?

I hand carve my originals out of wood and the odd one off bait. When I have something I want to produce over and over I mold it so I can switch to resin/micro balloons. 

Ok that’s awesome. I know I won’t be able to carve since I am missing my left arm. But there are plenty of ton water and crank bait blanks out there. Except one. The one I really want. I am looking a blank like a MR17 or Twitchn Rap. Just a lipless twitch Bait body. Can’t find any 

1 minute ago, Junkhead said:

Ok that’s awesome. I know I won’t be able to carve since I am missing my left arm. But there are plenty of ton water and crank bait blanks out there. Except one. The one I really want. I am looking a blank like a MR17 or Twitchn Rap. Just a lipless twitch Bait body. Can’t find any 

I am clueless about what is available for blank opinions because I have never looked. I bet there is others here who will know 

Don’t know your capabilities but if you are capable of moulding clay to create a master it could open up options for creating your own lures. Lots of guys create molds using clay masters instead of would 

Just an option that might work for you. 

3 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Thank you so much for that information!  That is a real possibility 

Search alumilite hard bait kit it would be a good starting point. 

You will also find lots of YouTube clips showing you how to build baits with alumilite and smooth on resin 

If you need info on this start a thread and ask there is a few of us on here who use these products 

But we should move anymore talk to another thread before we highjack this one any farther lol