CoreyH

super glue or epoxy?

I have seen and experienced lips coming out of superglued lures.  IMO, epoxy has better shock resistance than superglue.  For me it’s also a matter of work time.  A few seconds for superglue.  A couple of hours for Rod Bond paste epoxy.  I like time to tweak lips carefully so I prefer epoxy.

Thanks for the info.  Pulling on the hook hangers and line tie, I just don't think a bass, even a decent sized one, is going to pull them out.  However, I do like the idea of being able to tweak positioning of the bill by using epoxy.  I have had one instance where the super glue set so fast that I had to really push on the bill to get it the rest of the way in.  Another few seconds and I don't think I would have been able to get it positioned correctly.  Having that extra time would probably come in handy.  I'll probably just pick up some 2-part epoxy and use that just to be on the safe side and have the extra time before it sets. 

13 hours ago, lm22 said:

I use super thin super glue with all of my crankbaits. I use it for bills, line ties, and hook hangers and I have never had one pull out. You can also put baking soda on first and then add the super glue and it will make it even stronger. 

I do the super glue and baking soda for my weights, it seals it like a rock

For the line tie and hook hangers on my balsa bass baits I use cotter pins and super glue.  I predrill a hole slightly smaller than the cotter pin, fill the hole with super glue using a disposable microtip, then push in the cotter pin.  I've done pull tests on them after they are dry and the balsa will break before the cotter pin will pull out.  I use epoxy for the lips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C32MENO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.mcmaster.com/98401a421

• Like 1

Again, thanks to everyone who is offering ideas and suggestions.  Right now I'm using .041" SS wire and a pair of wire twisting pliers to create my line ties and hook hangers.  Next time I order from McMaster I'll order some of the cotter pins and give those a try to see which I like better.  Bait making sure is a lot of fun.  So many different ways to do almost everything.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CoreyH said:

Again, thanks to everyone who is offering ideas and suggestions.  Right now I'm using .041" SS wire and a pair of wire twisting pliers to create my line ties and hook hangers.  Next time I order from McMaster I'll order some of the cotter pins and give those a try to see which I like better.  Bait making sure is a lot of fun.  So many different ways to do almost everything.

Years back I found where someone had tested the cotter pin vs the twisted wire eye method and the twisted wire eye out preformed. Theory behind it is the twisted wire created a better bond over the smooth surface of the cotter pin. The test was done with hanging weight and epoxy not super glue 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Years back I found where someone had tested the cotter pin vs the twisted wire eye method and the twisted wire eye out preformed. Theory behind it is the twisted wire created a better bond over the smooth surface of the cotter pin. The test was done with hanging weight and epoxy not super glue 

I still use twisted wire with my larger PVC baits but I have also switched them over to superglue from epoxy.

Edited by goolies

8 minutes ago, goolies said:

I still use twisted wire with my larger PVC baits but I have also switched them over to superglue from epoxy.

I stopped using supper glue when I had hardware pull out on cedar salmon plugs. I used it successfully on many other lures in the past with smaller species 

If it works for you go for it. I will stick to a slow curing epoxy because it holds a superior bond without really impacting cost or time. Most of my stuff is for targeting larger species these days so I always go overkill because I fear a failure costing a exceptional fish 

To each their own 

• Like 2

I have watched a few of his videos.  I did see one where he tested between super glue and epoxy and the epoxy was much stronger, but the super glue was still plenty strong for bass...at least that's what I remember from it.  I usually put my line tie, hook hangers, and bill in at the same time, so I'll probably just switch to epoxy for all of them since I'll have to mix up the epoxy for the bill anyway.  I just like the idea of being able to play with the bill some to try and position it perfectly before it sets and I can't adjust it anymore.

• Like 1

5 minute epoxy also allows some time to adjust the components when you're setting them in place.  Superglue bonds quickly and if your hook hanger is slightly off or your bill is not seated all the way, the 5 minute epoxy allows you some time to adjust it.

I'm a beginning bait builder and this was my error.  Frustrating to prep a piece of balsa and have to re profile the lip after I glued it in because it wasn't straight and it set before I could fix it.

14 hours ago, SmalljawNH said:

5 minute epoxy also allows some time to adjust the components when you're setting them in place.  Superglue bonds quickly and if your hook hanger is slightly off or your bill is not seated all the way, the 5 minute epoxy allows you some time to adjust it.

I'm a beginning bait builder and this was my error.  Frustrating to prep a piece of balsa and have to re profile the lip after I glued it in because it wasn't straight and it set before I could fix it.

5 Min epoxy yellows over time. I use devcon 2 ton epoxy. Much stronger is waterproof etc and has longer work time. 

• Like 1