CoreyH

ballast question

How does the positioning of the ballast weight affect the action or performance of a crankbait?  I see crankbaits where the ballast weight is right in line with the front hook hanger and I see other crankbaits where the ballast is placed just back (towards the rear of the bait) of the front hook hanger.  Yet I can't recall seeing one with the ballast weight placed forward of the front hook hanger.  Also, how important (if it is important) is it to keep the ballast weight below centerline?  I use 1/4" lead wire instead of pouring lead since I currently don't have a melting pot.

2 minutes ago, CoreyH said:

Thanks for the response.  Makes sense (or at least as much as my very limited knowledge of hydrodynamics will allow).  I think it's going to just come down to trial and error, which can in itself be fun.

There is a ton of knowledge on this forum that can make your learning process easier but going out and trying things is always good 

Going out and trying different things is how you stumble on something amazing. Doing everything the same way as everyone else will limit you to everything that has already been done before 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

@Hillbilly voodoo - I really like that learning idea. Good reply.

Dave

Thanks 

I had no one to teach me and went through a lot of frustration being clueless. After lots of failures this was my way of figuring out what I was doing wrong and then used it to experiment 

Wish I had TU back then but I would say I probably figured out things by trying stuff I would have never learned if someone told me how to build lures

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

I spent a lot of time trying to math my way out of trial and error, some of it very good, some not so good.

When it comes down to really understanding something, trial and error is most powerful.

Dave

If I had to rely on math to build lures I probably would have got bored and gave up :lolhuh:

Luckily I am really good at being stubborn and the good old trail and error method works if you keep at it

To this day I make at the min a reject lure a week messing around 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 10:56 PM, CoreyH said:

How does the positioning of the ballast weight affect the action or performance of a crankbait?  I see crankbaits where the ballast weight is right in line with the front hook hanger and. I see other crankbaits where the weight is put simply to  essay writing services reviews (towards the back of the lure) of the front snare holder. However I can't remember seeing one with the balance weight put ahead of the front snare holder.  Also, how important (if it is important) is it to keep the ballast weight below centerline?  I use 1/4" lead wire instead of pouring lead since I currently don't have a melting pot.

It depends on the use of the crankbait on the rise, i personally like everything but my really deep divers and my susp. jerkbaits to rise really fast because i fish really heavy cover and the fast rise helps me to not get hung up as often.

Edited by adamgreen22
  • Like 1