Big Bob75

Mixing Plastic

I am just starting out on making my own plastics. Glad that I was recommend to this site. I have been getting my molds first and found some thanks to you guys. Now I have two questions for your guys. Are you able to mix old baits ie. Zoom and Berkeley together to make more or should you  reuse them if they are only the same company with new plastic? Then is there a PDF to print out on colors or is it more trial and error to get colors?  Sorry if these are repeat questions.  

Colors are mostly up to you. All colors are not created equal. They may have the same name  but will differ from each manufacturer. Some stronger some weaker. So when you see recipes without a name of the manufacturer it will be hit or miss. Making your own can be rewarding. Most of us know that each area we live in have different color that are more productive. Good luck. 

• Like 1

There's a thread on Lonestar baits soft plastic recipies now & there's also the soft plastc cookbook sticky at the top of this soft plastics forum that you're on now. Yes you can mix other companys plastics together.You however can't mix Zman baits with normal plastisol lures. I've heard that powerbait will pop & doesn't want to remelt well, but i've never tried it myself. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, Driftwood said:

And remember to always write down your measurements so you can duplicate the color, colors,  and shades that you prefer. 

Absolutely! I had a recipe that mimicked Yamo perch color laminate. Had it almost perfect. Never wrote it down, and I've never been able to reproduce it. Close. but no cigar.

• Like 1