jcromerangler

Paint

@DGagner I'm struggling on what to use as a base coat (White). Im sealing with an acrylic lacquer. (Balsa). But I'm unsure of what is the best base coat before painting the lure....I want a nice base to start with and I need some help. This is why I asked about the lacquer b/c I heard that it covers very well and was thinking about using a opaque white  as  base coat? If there is a simpler option could someone please share?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcromerangler said:

@DGagner I'm struggling on what to use as a base coat (White). Im sealing with an acrylic lacquer. (Balsa). But I'm unsure of what is the best base coat before painting the lure....I want a nice base to start with and I need some help. This is why I asked about the lacquer b/c I heard that it covers very well and was thinking about using a opaque white  as  base coat? If there is a simpler option could someone please share?  

I seal the wood by simply dipping in sealer. After I do the white base I put a coating of UV resin on before I paint. A coat of another finish like two part epoxy, of whatever you put on as your final coat will be the same. I find that it smooooths out the lure, hides the imperfections, and is like painting over a nice clear smooth hard finish as if it were plastic.

Of course I still put on my topcoat (Uv resin) when I'm done like usual. The added coating does give a little bit of weight to the the lure so add your ballast accordingly.

Marling baits uses Polycrylic (an inexpensive minwax product from places like homedepot) after initial white paint.  He dips it, it is acrylic based so it dries quickly and clear. I've not used it for lures but I have for furniture and it's nice stuff.

A link to my channel that I simply use to upload builds of my lures for the fun of it that shows the process. Look for the lure with the 'roach' pattern to see what I just described.

• Like 1