GENESO

new to this forum

Hello, 

Retired to northern New Mexico, and introduced to fishing here basically for stocked trout in lakes, after two seasons of fishing with a 92 year old active outdoorsman, and mediocre results, I am switching to live bait, which I know works. When I was young and I  fished for panfish with my father in the Midwest. After attempting to use bass rings with artificial worms here, it was obvious trout aren't dumb! So, with 4 lb Vanish line, and hooks as small as a 1/2" I have created worm rigs which I believe will work on these trout. This was a major challenge requiring a magnifying glass, repurposing tools, etc.

While New Mexico is huge, its population is sparse, less than Minneapolis and Seattle, where I have lived. So, I believe with some extra effort, results here may be well worth the time invested. So, while I am way out of touch as to what modern tackle and techniques may consist of, I note when we were out fishing last Memorial day, we were on the lake at 6 am and the whole lake was full of campers and nobody else was up, so I feel these fish in our northern area might now be too sophisticated. 

I note the idea of a bent hook ring ( slo death) in introducing action to a worm rig for walleyes. Has anyone done anything like that for a trout rig? I have never before taken the time to create tackle, but if it can produce superior results, I am interested. I am recovering from shoulder surgery and this type of  exercise should not harm its recovery. I am not interested in creating tons of lures etc., only in creating fish producing tackle not commonly found, made from superior products.

Geneso

Trout are just as stupid as the other species you are used to but they are just a different kind of stupid :lolhuh:

I grew up doing a lot of trout fishing in western Canada and they will take a variety of lures. I actually raised rainbows in aquaculture for 10years as well. When I guided some days were targeting cut throat, rainbows, and bull trout as well

yes a worm rigged on a slow death hook works and so do worm harnesses. Depending on the trout species, their feed base, wild or stocked and average size you have different options

Welcome to the forum 

• Haha 1