aulrich

Has Anyone modified a do-it injector so that it locks

I am thinking hard about modifying my do-it injectors so they lock, but I thought I would ask the group to see if anyone has attempted it before.

I am thinking there should be enough meat to drill in a hole for a split pin and a notch is just a quick file job.  It would be nice if the nozzle had more meat to grab onto so there might be an issue there.

Am I missing anything else.

• Like 1

I did do the first one on basstackles Twinjector.  I am not familiar  with Do it tips. When I did it I did it on a mill. Drilled a hole from the outer tube and the tips. Removed the tip cut the slot and over a bit so it would lock. Then drilled the correct hole size for the pin you use. The most important thing is drilling them at the same time. Good luck. 

• Like 1

All I have is a drill press, so I can't quite match you procedure. But I think I will us it as a template.

1. Drill the pin hole through both.

2. Pull the nozzle and drill out the hole in the body 1/16 or 1/32 bigger

3. Mark and hand file the slot.

4. Press the pin and cut to length 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, aulrich said:

All I have is a drill press, so I can't quite match you procedure. But I think I will us it as a template.

If you're doing the slot cutting by hand, just take your time.  Getting the part of the slot that goes side to side, ending at the predrilled hole, is the most critical.  Mark out the slot, and follow those marks.  Getting too much play in that slot will make it more difficult to lock the tip in place.

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

Problem with the Do It injectors is they use a real thin wall aluminum tube, they won't hold the tip/pin very well. BT's injectors use a very thick wall aluminum so they hold everything properly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

Ok that will work. But try and take it one step farther and set up some sort of material stop so bot are at the same place. Then both can be used in either injector. After you are done polish the inside of the tube really well so it does not cut the oring. You will be a lot happier with the pins. Peace of mind. 

5 minutes ago, DaveMc1 said:

Problem with the Do It injectors is they use a real thin wall aluminum tube, they won't hold the tip/pin very well. BT's injectors use a very thick wall aluminum so they hold everything properly. 

The pin goes in the tip. The wall is for the slot. Work good but if you drop it it could distort the slot. Not super likely though.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys, 

It makes sense to make some sort of fixture to help ensure the parts are interchangeable,  though it starts to approach the "is it worth while " line. It may just be time to upgrade to a higher capacity dual injector, we are making the attempt to go semi-pro but like all startups managing costs is part of the fun.

Either way I know I don't want to be fishing a nozzle out of a presto pot of plastic :).

If I was made of money a shooting start or Jacobs system would be on its way but SWMBO did not release that much funding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aulrich said:

Thanks guys, 

It makes sense to make some sort of fixture to help ensure the parts are interchangeable,  though it starts to approach the "is it worth while " line. It may just be time to upgrade to a higher capacity dual injector, we are making the attempt to go semi-pro but like all startups managing costs is part of the fun.

Either way I know I don't want to be fishing a nozzle out of a presto pot of plastic :).

If I was made of money a shooting start or Jacobs system would be on its way but SWMBO did not release that much funding.

What do you mean you should be able to buy a system with all the money you are saving making your own Baits. That’s my story anyways. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Frank said:

The pin goes in the tip. The wall is for the slot. Work good but if you drop it it could distort the slot. Not super likely though.  

I am well aware of how they're built. My point being the thin wall of the Do It injector won't hold the tip that well, especially if any kind of pressure gets applied to it while injecting or evacuating the injector.

8 hours ago, DaveMc1 said:

I am well aware of how they're built. My point being the thin wall of the Do It injector won't hold the tip that well, especially if any kind of pressure gets applied to it while injecting or evacuating the injector.

Well then let me put it this way I have injectors with thin walls and they work fine. Including a Twinjector prototype with thin walls and it holds just fine. 

• Like 1

OK had a bit odd thought.

Why not just drill and tap a small screw m2 or m3  granted annoying if I want to take the nozzle off. But I am hoping that when you shoot from a presto pot you can keep the injector hot enough to stay liquid, sort of like how lead does not stick to the dipper once it's hot.

So I guess I have a new question to tie me over until I have plastic again,.

For those of you the use a presto pot do your injectors stay hot enough to purge the unused plastic between shots or are you dissembling to pull out the plugs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Well then let me put it this way I have injectors with thin walls and they work fine. Including a Twinjector prototype with thin walls and it holds just fine. 

:yay: 

Food for thought, I have a barely used BT twin thats bent to hell. Also have an old Bear's (Do It's are identical) that had been modded with a locking pin that broke. 

Back to work.......

4 hours ago, Frank said:

Yes mine does. Are the Doit two color ones wide enough to get them both to the bottom of the prestos? 

I just have one presto pot at this point, but it looks like they will fit over and to the bottom. I had to raise the cross bar nearly to the top.but it looks like a go. The one presto pot the boy found in a flea market has pretty straight side walls I am assuming the form factor has not changes much

• Like 1

Ok that sounds about right then. There is a slight angle to the small presto pots but if you think it will work then I hope it does. There are two sizes of presto pots and the larger one has a much steeper angle. Found out that the hard way. 

• Like 1

I just question the need to lock the tip to cylinder. I have pushed the end off one time into the pyrex cup when emptying the injector. Not a problem to get out of hot plastic and learned how little pressure it takes to empty injector. Haven't had it happen again. I used long needle nose pliers to retrieve tip from plastic. Good luck. I filed a small slot in the end of the cylinder for a screw driver to fit so that I could force the tip off of cylinder.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Musky Glenn said:

I just question the need to lock the tip to cylinder. I have pushed the end off one time into the pyrex cup when emptying the injector. Not a problem to get out of hot plastic and learned how little pressure it takes to empty injector. Haven't had it happen again. I used long needle nose pliers to retrieve tip from plastic. Good luck. I filed a small slot in the end of the cylinder for a screw driver to fit so that I could force the tip off of cylinder.

Just understand what he wants to do. He want to expel as much plastic back into a presto pot and leave it in there till it is needed again. Never clean it out. And with two injectors. For me having it on my injectors is necessary because I do  the same thing he wants to do. When you fill the injectors and shoot molds the plastic cools and becomes thick and sometimes jelloy. This causes you to need more pressure to expel the remaining plastic. Which in turn gets remelted with the plastic left in the two presto pots. If I did not need the tips to lock then I have the option to not lock them. But in my case I need to lock them. If you don’t have anything to lock them in then there is no option. He is sounding like he wants more production from his system he uses now and he can with some simple modifications. 

• Like 2