atnipjd

The hazards of soft plastic bait making

Melted plastic will always produce vapors - the higher the heat the more. Whether it causes serious chronic  respiratory problems is dependent on how much is melted and how often. Producing a good amount of lures to sell seems to be a sure way of upping the odds of that happening. Ventilation is key meaning the use of a fan to ventilate fumes upward into a ceiling vent or horizontally as in my example.

Like I said, I inhale second hand smoke from my pipe daily but not enough that I can't run up and down stairs a few times or jog 40 yards at a clip. If you can't do that without breathing difficulty, future lure making in quantity is in doubt. At most I only heat plastic 20 minutes in a 24 hour period and most times only a few times a week - if that.

My melted plastic has no smell but will if I heat it beyond a certain temperature.

So, my son decided to expirement and melt down pieces of old senko baits he had collected and made his own molds to pour them in and proceeded to melt them down in my microwave in our kitchen! Do I need to worry about the fumes ruining my microwave or anything toxic getting into the food we heat in it? I did get a pretty good headache after he was done but I am very sensitive to smells and suffer headaches from just about anything. I can still smell it pretty well when I open the microwave, does that mean I now need to replace my microwave???

18 hours ago, Jen said:

So, my son decided to expirement and melt down pieces of old senko baits he had collected and made his own molds to pour them in and proceeded to melt them down in my microwave in our kitchen! Do I need to worry about the fumes ruining my microwave or anything toxic getting into the food we heat in it? I did get a pretty good headache after he was done but I am very sensitive to smells and suffer headaches from just about anything. I can still smell it pretty well when I open the microwave, does that mean I now need to replace my microwave???

If he only did a little, it should be no problem, but don't let him keep doing it.  Wipe down the inside with dish washing soap and water, then rinse it really well and wipe it dry.  Let it sit to dry with the door open.

He needs to be out of the house when he makes plastisol baits, and use a dedicated microwave with good ventilation and a respirator with a solvent-filter, like painters use.  3M makes them, and they are a good investment in your child's health.

Here's what I use:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Paint-Project-Respirator-Mask-6211PA1-A/100653900

heres what i know from the 2 weeks ive done soft plastic baits. i think the most dangerous moment is when u overcook it and u leave it in the cup. my cup exploded into pieces as i was messing with choppin up the burn plastic it seems to have released a heavy amt of vapor enough to make me cough. 2nd most dangerous moment is when ur open pouring and ur face is right there near the fumes. in a total of about 8 days ive produced over 1200 baits. its that addicting. i wish i had more ventilation, but for now i have 1 fan blowinf twds the window and another one blowing it out the window.....u can never have enough ventilation. my advice is never cook over a cup for more than 3 minutes....1/2 cups 2 min and anything less if u absolutely have to cook it off then 1 minute or throw it in with ur next batch regardless of color, unless u have to be picky. try and keep ur face as far away from fumes by learning to pour with ur face away.....kinda like a bartender pours wine or beer.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:24 PM, atnipjd said:

Hello all. I’m very new to the world of soft plastic bait making and I’m pretty concerned about the health effects of plastisol. If I’m using a fan and wearing a respirator, along with using pthalate free plastisol such as the one Do It Molds sells, have I eliminated all of the chemical health risk associated with heating plastisol? I know there are always what I will call mechanical dangers such as spilling hot plastic or your Pyrex cup exploding and so forth. I feel I can mitigate most of those risk by wearing the proper PPE and just taking my time. However, I’m very concerned with the chemical side of things from a health standpoint. Any information you can share would be appreciated! 

I'm probably late to the discussion, however, I am chemical science instructor for HAZMAT teams. Plastisol is listed as a carcinogen when heated. Wearing the proper PPE is highly recommended. The off gassing is will cause respiratory issues, and as one post stated it is caustic when the eyes are exposed to the gasses. Plastisol has been found in homemade explosives. A color change that occurs while heating in a microwave is a sure sign of over heating. I don't feel comfortable working with something like this. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but I am saying that you should be aware of the hazards of this chemical. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Fishin Big said:

I'm probably late to the discussion, however, I am chemical science instructor for HAZMAT teams. Plastisol is listed as a carcinogen when heated. Wearing the proper PPE is highly recommended. The off gassing is will cause respiratory issues, and as one post stated it is caustic when the eyes are exposed to the gasses. Plastisol has been found in homemade explosives. A color change that occurs while heating in a microwave is a sure sign of over heating. I don't feel comfortable working with something like this. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but I am saying that you should be aware of the hazards of this chemical. 

PPE is great but is always the last line of defense.. engineering controls are first and foremost.  Vent with proper CFM and enjoy.

• Like 2

Respirators are the biggest investment of using Plastisol. The average person will NOT make this investment due to the high cost. A real 3M Respirator will set you back about 1k. However, you must ask yourself, is my health that important? For myself, it is. You see guys on YouTube just going about this like there's nothing wrong with what they are doing! If you follow their advice...well I hope you have excellent insurance. Here is an example of how expensive the Real equipment is; just the six point head strap costs $106.00. This is for a motorized sealed filter full face respirator. I have welded for many years. And for the past twenty years my company provided these units. I own two of them, and when the plant shutdown I was told to keep them. Last month one of the six straps broke. I thought no big deal I'll order one and get a couple of filters ! You can only buy the filters by the case of six, at $1,399.00 a case! I'm glad that I took every one of these from work  nine altogether. Welding and plastisol/ polymers are some of the most hazardous products that many people have no clue about. And as stated in a recent post  the company's are there to make money PERIOD!!

2 hours ago, Troutfishing303 said:

I was always suspicious about this plastisol stuff.  Maybe we all need to brainstorm and think of a cleaner/better material to make our baits with.  

I researched it for years brother with no luck.  If you find something, please let us know! 

• Like 1

I made baits for about 3 years. I stopped making them because of the smell. Plus they don't have a long shelf life. Make them and if they set around for a few months they turn very oily. Wearing a respirator in Florida in your garage in the summer... well sucks! I still make Jig heads.

23 hours ago, Slammingjack said:

I made baits for about 3 years. I stopped making them because of the smell. Plus they don't have a long shelf life. Make them and if they set around for a few months they turn very oily. Wearing a respirator in Florida in your garage in the summer... well sucks! I still make Jig heads.

Must be a Florida humidity thing because I haven't poured a worm in 10 years and still use baits that I have on the wall. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, mark poulson said:

Your nose is the best defense you have.  If you can smell the plastisol, you need better ventilation and breathing protection. Fumes from this stuff is not safe to breath, no matter which formulation you use.

I would agree with this for the most part and it's the same direction I would take after pouring for 8 years. The only thing I would add to it is that our sense of odor can likely get dulled with a lot of repeated use. Taking a break from it probably restores it. 

What most don't understand, and I don't even think doctors understand is that the chemicals (which enter via fumes as Mark said, as well as through the skin) won't cause just one specific disease. It can cause a multitude of disease and it can be different in every person. It likely won't show up as some lung disease but could be a factor in accelerating just about any disease.  Not saying this to be a fear monger, but help educate and nudge a few into doing it right. Proper ventilation and using gloves.. even after it's cured is the key to keeping it out of the body. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:40 AM, alsworms said:

Must be a Florida humidity thing because I haven't poured a worm in 10 years and still use baits that I have on the wall. 

Likely also due to improper dispersion of the PVC and Plasticiser due to settling of the components. Plasticizer exudation occurs on the surface especially when exposed to solvents like you say! Water is not just a solvent but a great solvent!

I recommend makers experiencing 'oily residue' on the surface of their baits mix more before pouring and or use a plastisol with a higher thixotropic additive.

I hope this can assist.

James

Edited by Lurarte
  • Like 1